The Rock/Metal thread......

Absolutely one of my favourite bands from recent years. Just got the 4CD edition last week of the Great Cold Distance. Can`t wait to see them in Leeds in May.

were they the ones from about 20 years or so ago that sounded a bit like Free??
Yes- that's the one.

Saw these at Donington Monsters Of Rock years ago but haven't thought about them much since. Just checked them out on YouTube and it's actually pretty decent stuff! Tempted to buy the Brother album from Amazon.
Do it - it's excellent. I was at the same gig - 1994

You can't like metal without liking Pantera!
You can.....
They were decent up until Far Beyond Driven, then seemed to just be mediocre. Always great live though.

12:50 in to this. Steve hits the nail on the head about Metal, you'll enjoy this @Mick Dundee

Great band he's wearing the Tee of.

Aye I saw that.
Got any other modern thrash to recommend?
Try Muncipal Waste
Enforcer
Wolf
Children of Bodom

The new Overkill stuff is sublime too.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the new Steel Panther record has a different U.K. Release date? I thought it was out Friday but Apple Music is still only showing the pre-release tracks.

Any Volbeat fans? Takes a little bit to get used to his voice and I've only listened to their first album and the odd newer song, but I like what I hear.
Aye they are alright. Poulsons like a cross between Hetfield and Johnny Cash and seem to have a bit of a melodic/50`s thing going on in the background. Soulweeper is canny

Try
Wolf - great Swedish band
Savatage
Vicious Rumours
Heathen
Definitley Savatage, especially with Jon Oliva on vocals although Zach Stevens was pretty good too.
Try also Dream Evil especially the Book of Heavy metal......Power metal at its very best and stuffed full of great tunes

Love them, they haven't made a bad album yet!
They sound so much like classic Blue Oyster Cult. Absolutely brilliant live too.

I have them too :lol:
Symphony of Enchanted Lands is great. totally different to anything else out when that came out. The use of choirs and orchestras made it sound like a cinema soundtrack.

Also try Royal Hunt especially Moving Target and Paradox.

Last edited:

Back