The roads down south

Living in Norfolk I'll never complain about the roads elsewhere in the UK ever again. The A19 is heavenly to drive on compared to the A47 and A17. I've never been so thankful to reach the A1.

Last edited by a moderator:
f***ing shite.

Drove from the south coast yesterday and averaged 25mph for the first five hours.

The NE is a driving nirvana in comparison.

Can any truckers confirm?
Driving to Alnwick 8 miles at 9 am along the back road ..lucky if I pass four cars and a tractor.With the most stunning scenery anywhere ..now that's a rush hour ( but don't tell them down south!) nee one minds either if you are a more experienced (old!) driver .

And that was in the holiday (quiet) period.

The roads are rammed and full of pot holes.

It will likely be one of the reasons I'll possibly retire in the north .

If you are travelling outside of rush hour the roads here are a dream, very fast too between the major towns with the A1 and A19. Even going to Yorkshire is awful, full of single carriageway roads and loads of traffic.

Kent is crap for transport. I have put it down to years of being run by the Tories and suffered from their traditional policy of under investment. As a few have said, roads and paths two are dropping to bits. Pot holes and broken surfaces. A cycle track (which was actually an overgrown pedestrian footpath they made into a cycle track by putting 4 blue signs on a 10 mile stretch) has got so bad, they have signs up now saying 'cycle track, warning dangerous surface for cycling, Please dismount'!

As well as that, Kent has 2 motorways linking Dover to the M25. Those can be pretty quick to travel on, but if you want to go across the county then there are no main roads that flow. Take somewhere like Canterbury to Hastings. This time of night, google maps is saying 1.5 hours, so that is probably the best possible time. On a weekend or especially holiday season, it can be well over 2 hours. They are 40 miles apart. I used to travel from Washington to York regularly (90 miles) in 1.5 hours or less. Even on the slower A19 it is not that much more.

I was on M1 yesterday. Stopping and starting from Sheffield to Nottingham where I came off. Coming North stop starting all the way round Leeds. Pain in the backside.
The M1 is shite on that stretch.

Extended to four lanes/smart motorway for the majority of it and it's achieved fuck all.

Major developments happening just off all the junctions, including the new East Midlands Gateway near the airport means all the access roads are over-subscribed as well.

Daily smashes, tailbacks, lane closures etc. means getting anywhere is a total fuck on.

Back