The Repair Shop .....

Alex Webster on salvage hunters is a true master of woodworking / refinishing like.

He is. I was stunned when he remade an inlaid (probably not the right term) table by copying the top of another. Thought skills like that had long gone. The bloke is a magician.

Made me wish I'd stuck in at woodwork classes at school😁

Last edited:

He is. I was stunned when he remade an inlaid (probably not the right term) table by copying the top of another. Thought skills like that had long gone. The bloke is a magician.

Made me wish I'd stuck in at woodwork classes at school😁

Was that the one where he had to cut out all the little sections of veneer for the top and make two new center leaves for the table ?

Last edited:
Was that the one where he had to cut out all the little sections of veneer for the top and make two new center leafs for the table ?

Yes that's the one. The first table had a git big crack down the middle, that he sorted and then he "made" the second one. The bloke should have his own series imo. Some of the restoration is phenomenal. I'd love to spend a few days in his workshop watching him work.

Yes that's the one. The first table had a git big crack down the middle, that he sorted and then he "made" the second one. The bloke should have his own series imo. Some of the restoration is phenomenal. I'd love to spend a few days in his workshop watching him work.

Agreed, I could spend hours watching him do his magic. As you said I really didn't think skills like that still existed, certainly not in a younger bloke anyway.

Agreed, I could spend hours watching him do his magic. As you said I really didn't think skills like that still existed, certainly not in a younger bloke anyway.

Wonder how much he charges for stuff? He could do with a partner to source gear to fix up I reckon (if he hasn't already got one) as the dealer's seem to make the big bucks on the back of his skills.

Wonder how much he charges for stuff? He could do with a partner to source gear to fix up I reckon (if he hasn't already got one) as the dealer's seem to make the big bucks on the back of his skills.

He does buy his own stuff to repair like, I did follow him on twitter for a bit to see what else he got up to. Restoreralex i think was the twitter name if you fancy a look, he went out on buying trips like Drew does.

I'm guessing only people with the finest antiques could afford his rates like, although I did see him restoring simple stuff on twitter so maybe not ?

He does buy his own stuff to repair like, I did follow him on twitter for a bit to see what else he got up to. Restoreralex i think was the twitter name if you fancy a look, he went out on buying trips like Drew does.

I'm guessing only people with the finest antiques could afford his rates like, although I did see him restoring simple stuff on twitter so maybe not ?

Cheers, may sign up to Twitter and have a look.

It's a good show and has some very skilled people showing off lost arts and trades. Nice human stories too.

Wish they would give figures on what the restorations cost though.

Back