The reasons I'm falling slightly out of love with football.....?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Each to their own like but I detest everything the PL has become.

A sterile, staged competition to suit armchair plastic "fans"of disenfranchised clubs... sky or whoever is the latest company to throw ridiculous money for the TV rights and those running the show can go fuck themselves.
it's globalisation. You shouldn't need to be from any specific town to be able to support that football team which then when TV broadcasting gets involved you no longer have to be from a specific country to follow their football teams either. Everyone can decide whatever team they support for whatever reason they see fit.

As I get older (still in 30s) I’m finding I care less probably because of the mess we are in but I enjoy watching it more on TV. Would be happy going to the pub each game with my mates and watching it there.

As I get older (still in 30s) I’m finding I care less probably because of the mess we are in but I enjoy watching it more on TV. Would be happy going to the pub each game with my mates and watching it there.

I’m getting to that point as well. I have began to realise more and more that going to matches is actually probably more about meeting my mates and having a few pints then the 90 minutes that usually spoils it!

I’m getting to that point as well. I have began to realise more and more that going to matches is actually probably more about meeting my mates and having a few pints then the 90 minutes that usually spoils it!
Think you may get the buzz back when this takeover goes through :D meanwhile we will be even more depressed.

Players feigning injury in order to get others booked/sent off. What happened to not showing anyone you were hurt? It’s all too manipulative.
This is pretty much my only gripe with football. The money doesn’t bother me other than the imbalance it’s created. All clubs should be capped at the same spend on transfers and wages.
Nothing gets close to being there for me

Last edited:
Think you may get the buzz back when this takeover goes through :D meanwhile we will be even more depressed.

To be honest it looks less likely every day it will happen, but it’s always nice to dream about a time your team might win something. Like I say, I’m more missing the pints and banter really.
This is pretty much my only gripe with football. The money doesn’t bother me other than the imbalance it’s created. All clubs should be capped at the same spend on transfers and wages.

Nothing gets close to being there for me

I used to be like that and the odd game does bring back that feeling but it’s usually the worst part of the day - but that comes with supporting a shit team haha. I think away games give me that buzz much more then home ones these days, but ultimately outside of 5-6 teams everyone else is essentially playing for 17th in the premier league. Another depressing part of modern football.

Last edited:
As the title suggests give different reasons what you dislike about the modern game. Try to make it about football in general rather than Sunderland.

I'll start with a few of my gripes
1) you train academy players up only for the bigger clubs to turn up and snatch them from you for a pittance, meaning all your good work gone to waste
2) Fa cup semi finals being played at Wembley and the disregard lower Premier league clubs have for the Cup.
3) You just know unless you get taken over by billionaire owners you have a very poor chance of winning anything major.
4) The get rid of the manager we are having bad results syndrome. Clubs need stability to build success but managers rarely get that time
5) Chairmen of lower league clubs gung gung ho and paying stupid wages instead of living within their means.
6) A Southern team playing a northern team midweek... Meaning 2 days off for away supporters.... Why can't the fixture computer leave the midweek games to be fairly local affair say Fleetwood v sunderland instead of.Bristol Rovers v sunderland
7) Players downing tools when refused a move... Most of us would run through a brick wall to play professional football

That's some of mine what's yours...?

All of these mate, your points are spot on, especially no 3. The game is very different from the 70s when many teams could win a major trophy, ie, us, Southampton, Ipswich, Derby, Forest etc and money didn't rule the game. When people like Stavely become more important to fans than people like Shankly and Clough, something's very wrong.

For me anyway, as a child I distinctly remember the smell of booze, fags, burgers and piss walking outside the ground and by the pubs, then walking up the steps at Highbury and being mesmerised by the vast green carpet of a pitch, the nets at the goals and the noise of the crowd, as well as being so close to the pitch. Things like that make you fall in love with it. I fail to see how playacting, shit atmospheres and VAR would make anyone fall in love with it now tbh.

I actually miss the pre-game travel and pints at the pub. Once i get into the ground it's mostly all downhill from there

Last edited:
It’s been quite peaceful the past 2 months.

I like the football but what I’ve realised is all the punditry and the shite that goes on during the week, analysis and so called ‘experts’ that like everyone else are only experts after the event has happened, that’s what I don’t like.

Exactly what I was going to post.

the idea that the leagues under championship no longer matter is now well and truly embedded. This whole situation has proved it.

And that is disgusting

You volunteering to personally pay to get League Two games on?

Because the only reason Premier League is happening is that they can afford to get it on without you personally paying.

Can't see anyone else volunteering the cash other than you - by which I mean all of us - stumping up via the Government.

Because I’m old now , and going to football is a sanitised experience where it used to be tribal and exciting ( and frightening) when I was young. It’s not even a very good sanitised experience at the SoL as the services and facilities are poor. It’s overpriced for what it it is too.
The game itself is an over saturated product thanks to Sky on for 24 hours a day, every game on tv etc .
The corruption and money within the game is out of hand .
It shouldnt take the covid pandemic to get the scales to fall from our eyes , but maybe it has .

One of the reasons I love Rugby League is if a player gets hit they are determined to get up to show they can handle it.
Exactly, same with Ice Hockey and Rugby Union. It was also the same with nearly everyone I played football with. God knows what gets into the heads of those faking injury in the professional game, often with no possible benefit to the team. Someone gets a hand in the face or a minor knock and they are laying there playing dead while their team are defending an attack! What the fuck is that all about? Get up and play on and help your team you soft shite!

For me it's not about clubs spending too much money (you can go back to 1905 when we sold Alf Common to Middlesbrough for £1,000 and find newspaper reports about how terrible it was and how 'Boro had 'bought' their place in the top division). It's not particularly about the loss of the old stadiums and a set of fairly similar replacements (after all, if we don't like modern stadiums being fairly similar, why do we all love an Archibald Leitch ground when they were all fairly similar?). It's simply that I've been following football for close to 40 years, attending games regularly for 25+ years and, basically, there's not much new out there.

Simple question: what was your favourite football season? I'll hazard a guess that most people too young for 1973 will vote for a SAFC promotion campaign when they were about 16-21. Because then, it's new. You're getting to games without needing your dad to take you, which wasn't the case when you were younger. You maybe have your first job, your first bit of freedom to go to aways. You can get in the pub on a matchday. And you're seeing your team win most weeks, seeing them get positive attention in the wider football world. For me, that season was 95/96 and had the added bonus of Euro '96 at the end of it and the Mags making a spectacular mess of things, two factors that just edge it ahead of the 105 pointers for me. By the time you get to Mic Mac's promotion season, or Keane's, it already felt like I'd done this before. It was fun, but not as much fun. And I was older, a bit less daft, a more bit involved with other stuff. We'll get promoted again one day, and that will be fun too, but I can't imagine anything topping 95/96 unless we get to Europe and I'm able to travel (unlikely on both counts at the moment). That's why, now, I tend to do more non-league, take more time to visit random places and see a game. I have no need to go to Gillingham ever again, nor to go to Old Trafford next time we're at that level.

But that's just me. Somewhere, there's a 10-year-old just starting this journey. And our 2027/28 promotion season will mean as much to him as 95/96 does to me.

I'm sick of shit managers getting management jobs, then after they're sacked rewarded with another job shortly after.

I don't buy into the manager needs more time myth, how much time do they need? It's only pertinent if you're seeing improvement imo.

So how much time do you personally give manager for recognised improvement? 3 days. 3 weeks. 3 months. 6 months. 1 year. 2 year?

Back