The reasons I'm falling slightly out of love with football.....?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Covid virus has proven that only the premier league and money matter now in the game. Supporters and the rest of the football pyramid don’t matter. Which is a sorry state of affairs.
Exactly what I was going to post.

the idea that the leagues under championship no longer matter is now well and truly embedded. This whole situation has proved it.

And that is disgusting

I struggle with booing. When I was young, you stayed behind the team and players regardless of how they were playing. Discussion in the pub and at work over the following days was a chance to talk about certain players having a bad game etc.
You paid money to follow the club. Nowadays things have changed to a culture of fans expecting to be given their money's worth and having the right to boo if they're not.
I'm not criticising people for doing it, I accept that that is the modern way of football and it's fans. I just don't like that it has become that way.

As the title suggests give different reasons what you dislike about the modern game. Try to make it about football in general rather than Sunderland.

I'll start with a few of my gripes
1) you train academy players up only for the bigger clubs to turn up and snatch them from you for a pittance, meaning all your good work gone to waste
2) Fa cup semi finals being played at Wembley and the disregard lower Premier league clubs have for the Cup.
3) You just know unless you get taken over by billionaire owners you have a very poor chance of winning anything major.
4) The get rid of the manager we are having bad results syndrome. Clubs need stability to build success but managers rarely get that time
5) Chairmen of lower league clubs gung gung ho and paying stupid wages instead of living within their means.
6) A Southern team playing a northern team midweek... Meaning 2 days off for away supporters.... Why can't the fixture computer leave the midweek games to be fairly local affair say Fleetwood v sunderland instead of.Bristol Rovers v sunderland
7) Players downing tools when refused a move... Most of us would run through a brick wall to play professional football

That's some of mine what's yours...?
1) It has gone from being a “game” to something corporate. This has made it far too clinical. And with all novelty removed, the fun has gone out of it.

If there’s anything at all positive to come out of this whole corona affair then it might be that UK football has to reinvent itself. As has been clearly identified above, the money at the top of the tree and the non-competition that is the premier league have progressively dulled people’s appetite in the game.
Every club outside of the top 4 are effectively cannon fodder for the elite clubs with league place finish and CL money structured to make such clubs ever more elitist.
There was a sense of pride when the likes of Henderson and Pickford were developed at SAFC, ultimately to be cherry picked but at least we’re got to see them play a bit. Now, promising talent is leaving the club at 15/16 years of age before they have had a chance to play for the U23s.
Even the clubs at the top end are going to realise that their product is nothing without the fans who fill up their stadia. For way too long those fans have been shit on with extortionate ticket prices, scheduling of midweek games, Sky rescheduling etc. Hopefully, the importance of fans will soon be one apparent and the ‘fan package’ will be re-evaluated and we will move towards the German model of fan ownership of clubs, slashed ticket prices and an overall better fan experience.
Don’t hold your breath though.

people who argue with other people about who is the 'bigger' club or what is a 'big club'

who gives a flying fuck. arguing about something that simply can't be measured, has no parameters and means fuck all. every club is the biggest club in the world to their own supporters. same argument applies to local derbies. attention seeking bollocks

oh and VAR. and people who claim to support VAR.

Well said.
Give me our loyal away following that have stuck by the club. You get to know the regular travellers for sure which makes it enjoyable.
Equally I would say you also get a better opportunity of getting closer to the heart of the Club if following a less than fashionable and smaller one.
The stories and memories will stay forever.

As the title suggests give different reasons what you dislike about the modern game. Try to make it about football in general rather than Sunderland.

1) you train academy players up only for the bigger clubs to turn up and snatch them from you for a pittance, meaning all your good work gone to waste
2) Fa cup semi finals being played at Wembley and the disregard lower Premier league clubs have for the Cup.
3) You just know unless you get taken over by billionaire owners you have a very poor chance of winning anything major.
4) The get rid of the manager we are having bad results syndrome. Clubs need stability to build success but managers rarely get that time
5) Chairmen of lower league clubs gung gung ho and paying stupid wages instead of living within their means.
6) A Southern team playing a northern team midweek... Meaning 2 days off for away supporters.... Why can't the fixture computer leave the midweek games to be fairly local affair say Fleetwood v sunderland instead of.Bristol Rovers v sunderland
7) Players downing tools when refused a move... Most of us would run through a brick wall to play professional football

The total B***S*** surrounding professional football generally.

League One is killing it for me. Empty stadiums and crap football.

I know we were shit for almost all of it, but there’s something exciting about going away to Man United or Chelsea and having full stadiums and all the tv cameras there.

I suppose even if we were good in league one that would be a start.

I’d have to say:

1. The lack of meaningful competition because a select few clubs have a lot more money than everyone else.

2. Agents.

3. The unjustifiable amounts players are paid.

4. Sunderland being consistently shit.

Covid virus has proven that only the premier league and money matter now in the game. Supporters and the rest of the football pyramid don’t matter. Which is a sorry state of affairs.
Exactly. They are probably playing as Masters will have written to each club detailing the cost to them of not finishing the season.
Social distancing? Thousands of Liverpool “fans” will go wherever they are playing just to see the team bus

I don’t enjoy league 1. Really kills the buzz for me. I like to be entertained and see quality play, even if it’s against us.

In league 1 the players are absolutely shite, there’s no real skill and it’s not entertaining, really enjoyed watching Maja for afew month but then we sold him. There’s also no buzz going to a game and during the game, can care nobody cares about playing against the likes of Rochdale or even if we play a promotion rival. The only thing that gets you up for the game is shite tinpot rivalries like the recent social media one with Coventry and then the Joey Barton rivalry.

I don’t enjoy league 1. Really kills the buzz for me. I like to be entertained and see quality play, even if it’s against us.

In league 1 the players are absolutely shite, there’s no real skill and it’s not entertaining, really enjoyed watching Maja for afew month but then we sold him. There’s also no buzz going to a game and during the game, can care nobody cares about playing against the likes of Rochdale or even if we play a promotion rival. The only thing that gets you up for the game is shite tinpot rivalries like the recent social media one with Coventry and then the Joey Barton rivalry.

Maybe if I had a season ticket and saw the lads more frequently I might agree but there are thousands of supporters of smaller clubs who put up with the same (and worse) every week and pay good money to do it.

There are clubs in our division and below who have been in Division 1 (EPL if you are confused). If your "support" is conditional on the League we are playing in then maybe you're just a "fan" after all?

We've been pretty much shite all my life but I'm hanging on for the good time(s).

Maybe if I had a season ticket and saw the lads more frequently I might agree but there are thousands of supporters of smaller clubs who put up with the same (and worse) every week and pay good money to do it.

There are clubs in our division and below who have been in Division 1 (EPL if you are confused). If your "support" is conditional on the League we are playing in then maybe you're just a "fan" after all?

We've been pretty much shite all my life but I'm hanging on for the good time(s).

It’s a fair point mate but we are traditionally at least a second tier club and the drop off into the third tier is absolutely massive. Our players are terrible, they have virtually no quality and it’s just all round boring.

My support is not conditional because I still go to all the home league and cup games (including check a trade/fa cup first rounders) and also try to get to the away games but fuck me it’s boring. Watching the likes of Tom Flanagan, Denver Hume, Max Power, George Dobson, Charlie Wyke, Will Grigg playing footy just isn’t for me for entertainment purposes and watching Parkys dogshit 3-4-3 doesn’t do anything for me either.

You are right that there are thousands of fans where this is the best they’ll get and that’s fine but we’ve had complete exposure to the top 2 tiers for basically our whole history. When you’ve had that level of exposure it’s hard to adjust, I have found it really difficult anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a fair point mate but we are traditionally at least a second tier club and the drop off into the third tier is absolutely massive. Our players are terrible, they have virtually no quality and it’s just all round boring.

My support is not conditional because I still go to all the home league and cup games (including check a trade/fa cup first rounders) and also try to get to the away games but fuck me it’s boring. Watching the likes of Tom Flanagan, Denver Hume, Max Power, George Dobson, Charlie Wyke, Will Grigg playing footy just isn’t for me for entertainment purposes and watching Parkys dogshit 3-4-3 doesn’t do anything for me either.

You are right that there are thousands of fans where this is the best they’ll get and that’s fine but we’ve had complete exposure to the top 2 tiers for basically our whole history. When you’ve had that level of exposure it’s hard to adjust, I have found it really difficult anyways.

Fair do's mate. Distance makes everything look much better.

Weirdly the death of the fa cup is the worst for me 3 rd round day was the best day of the season growing up.

Make fourth place and the winners have a playoff for the Champions League spot is my idea to save it

Long hair and head bands etc
Play acting and tolling around pretending to be injured
Players putti their hands over their mouths when speaking - as if anybody gives a shit what they are talking about

There's a million things wrong with football, those are certainly some of them.

It’s a commercial consumer led industrial money laundering process that uses slimy arsed pundits like linkeer and shearer to brainwash supporters minds and souls and treat us all like daft c***ts

Last edited:
Nothing really, I like the Premier League and I like the fact it has moved on from what it used to be in the 60s-90s, becoming so professional with proper understanding of sports fitness and sports science.

If people want 'real' football then they can always follow a local Sunday league team. For anything more serious, it's a natural progression for things to start to involve more and more money and become less of a grass roots situation instead turning into a business.

Each to their own like but I detest everything the PL has become.

A sterile, staged competition to suit armchair plastic "fans"of disenfranchised clubs... sky or whoever is the latest company to throw ridiculous money for the TV rights and those running the show can go fuck themselves.

Back