The reasons I'm falling slightly out of love with football.....?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
The premier league set-up. I hate it. This has destroyed the game that I grew up with. Rich people buying clubs who then appoint charlatans, rogues, thieves and vagabonds to run them who don't have a clue. Get people in who have served their time in the game - not bakery firm accountants, models, solicitors who realise they can make fortunes for themselves, marketing men who call you Buddy, Double glazing salesmen.

Agents - that is anther one. More dodgy deals than Mr Dodgy of Dodgy Street, Dodgytown, Co Dodgy.

Sacking managers every 5 minutes. Bleeding pointless. Take your time to appoint - check his record, talk to people. Don't want a 3 hr presentation or giving him an example situation at the club that needs sorting. Talk to him get a feel of where he is coming from, what he wants to do, what vision he has? He has to a qualified coach anyway these days. Anyone who has conducted an interview gets a feeling about the candidate - everything else is important but not as important as that gut feeing.

players sliding on their knees when they score
players doing the love heart sign when they score

all the other stuff including players diving cheating and acting like fannies is just great ))

Really it was just moving away, and perhaps a little growing up really. Before I could go to matches as my dad doesn't really care about football, I was an avid radio listener and watch any old football match on TV. Italian football on a Sunday, European games during the week and whatever FA cup match made it on telly. Then I could afford a season ticket. Went to every home game. Started to not watch as much on tv as I was getting more than my fix. But never went to away games.

Fast forward some years and I moved away. No more home games as I couldn't be bothered to travel for home games and really couldn't afford to do it all the time either. So follow on here and BBC website. Moved away nearly 6 years ago and while I still care about SAFC, only football I really watch are the Euros and World Cup.

As a kid I'd watch any old football. Loved it. Now if I don't have a vested interest (Sunderland/England) I really don't give a crap about paying attention to it. Couldn't tell you the bottom three of the Premier League.

Project restart (annoyingly corny name) initiated by Sky's greed also pissed me off, at a time when peoples lives were/are so much more important

i just dont love it like i did as a kid from 1987 season onwards.

we had some rotten seasons and teams, but i always felt teams in general gave everything and cared
if you were losing it was everyone up for corners, slinging the ball in the box

in more recent times there have been countless awful games where neither tries to attack, or heartless surrenders where managers and players come out and say they gave it their all when they had spent the game passing backwards and sideways with no attempts on goal

the shit bosses and relegated players always getting new clubs and rewarded for being crap

the bling bling instagram type players

Because we're shit basically.

Admittedly it pisses me off how players are now commercial properties rather than footballers - I.e. Many United signing and persisting with Pogba because of his sponsorship value and Instagram appeal. But that wouldn't bother me if we were any good - it didn't when we had the half season under Allardyce.

VAR for the top echelon not the rest.
And just to hammer this home, no one saying "This is how the season ends across all leagues".
Only one league counts and most of them are just taking turns to make up the numbers, dreams are not allowed.

I have also found football has become a tough sport to enjoy. I became bored of the Prem due to the same teams competing for the title every season (Enjoyed the Leicester season) The Champions League also has the same teams getting to the finals every year and I always mean to watch it but find myself doing other things instead.

Football is just a multi-billionaire's toy now and if you don't have one then it feels like your club is just a number if you're in the Prem.

If it wasn't for supporting Sunderland all of my life I wouldn't be watching football at all now.
Really it was just moving away, and perhaps a little growing up really. Before I could go to matches as my dad doesn't really care about football, I was an avid radio listener and watch any old football match on TV. Italian football on a Sunday, European games during the week and whatever FA cup match made it on telly. Then I could afford a season ticket. Went to every home game. Started to not watch as much on tv as I was getting more than my fix. But never went to away games.

Fast forward some years and I moved away. No more home games as I couldn't be bothered to travel for home games and really couldn't afford to do it all the time either. So follow on here and BBC website. Moved away nearly 6 years ago and while I still care about SAFC, only football I really watch are the Euros and World Cup.

As a kid I'd watch any old football. Loved it. Now if I don't have a vested interest (Sunderland/England) I really don't give a crap about paying attention to it. Couldn't tell you the bottom three of the Premier League.

Same here love the Euros and the World Cup. Love Sunderland. Don't care about any other game.

Last edited:
Maybe this is just me, but within five minutes of a lot of games, I’m bored and turning over. And I can’t stand the hype from pundits, Sky etc.

I can’t say I’ve missed football during the lockdown one bit.
Same here love the Euros and the World Cup. Love Sunderland. Don't care about any other game.
Totally agree. I’ll always watch Sunderland because it’s us, and I love an international tournament with England in it. Save for that, I’m struggling.

Last edited:
The game is totally aimed at the armchair fan these days, and away from the match going ones. If they can find a way to fill the stadium with robots in scarves they will do.

Liverpool and Manchester United fans in the office bragging about how they never miss a game “oh that’s a canny journey for you once a fortnight” and they laugh at you like you’ve just said something amazingly stupid “no I just finish my dinner, get a Budweiser out of the fridge...”

Absolute wall to wall premier league coverage is like living in nazi Germany.

Just a couple more that was not stated above. I hate when media put former Liverpool or Man Utd when they played most of there career with us or another club. Our club is always put down in the media.

As the title suggests give different reasons what you dislike about the modern game. Try to make it about football in general rather than Sunderland.

I'll start with a few of my gripes
1) you train academy players up only for the bigger clubs to turn up and snatch them from you for a pittance, meaning all your good work gone to waste
2) Fa cup semi finals being played at Wembley and the disregard lower Premier league clubs have for the Cup.
3) You just know unless you get taken over by billionaire owners you have a very poor chance of winning anything major.
4) The get rid of the manager we are having bad results syndrome. Clubs need stability to build success but managers rarely get that time
5) Chairmen of lower league clubs gung gung ho and paying stupid wages instead of living within their means.
6) A Southern team playing a northern team midweek... Meaning 2 days off for away supporters.... Why can't the fixture computer leave the midweek games to be fairly local affair say Fleetwood v sunderland instead of.Bristol Rovers v sunderland
7) Players downing tools when refused a move... Most of us would run through a brick wall to play professional football

That's some of mine what's yours...?

I'm sick of shit managers getting management jobs, then after they're sacked rewarded with another job shortly after.

I don't buy into the manager needs more time myth, how much time do they need? It's only pertinent if you're seeing improvement imo.

Back