The reasons I'm falling slightly out of love with football.....?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45378

As the title suggests give different reasons what you dislike about the modern game. Try to make it about football in general rather than Sunderland.

I'll start with a few of my gripes
1) you train academy players up only for the bigger clubs to turn up and snatch them from you for a pittance, meaning all your good work gone to waste
2) Fa cup semi finals being played at Wembley and the disregard lower Premier league clubs have for the Cup.
3) You just know unless you get taken over by billionaire owners you have a very poor chance of winning anything major.
4) The get rid of the manager we are having bad results syndrome. Clubs need stability to build success but managers rarely get that time
5) Chairmen of lower league clubs gung gung ho and paying stupid wages instead of living within their means.
6) A Southern team playing a northern team midweek... Meaning 2 days off for away supporters.... Why can't the fixture computer leave the midweek games to be fairly local affair say Fleetwood v sunderland instead of.Bristol Rovers v sunderland
7) Players downing tools when refused a move... Most of us would run through a brick wall to play professional football

That's some of mine what's yours...?

As the title suggests give different reasons what you dislike about the modern game. Try to make it about football in general rather than Sunderland.

1) you train academy players up only for the bigger clubs to turn up and snatch them from you for a pittance, meaning all your good work gone to waste
2) Fa cup semi finals being played at Wembley and the disregard lower Premier league clubs have for the Cup.
3) You just know unless you get taken over by billionaire owners you have a very poor chance of winning anything major.
4) The get rid of the manager we are having bad results syndrome. Clubs need stability to build success but managers rarely get that time
5) Chairmen of lower league clubs gung gung ho and paying stupid wages instead of living within their means.
6) A Southern team playing a northern team midweek... Meaning 2 days off for away supporters.... Why can't the fixture computer leave the midweek games to be fairly local affair say Fleetwood v sunderland instead of.Bristol Rovers v sunderland
7) Players downing tools when refused a move... Most of us would run through a brick wall to play professional football

1) Too much money in the game
2) Agents
3) Bosman Ruling
4) Blood and Thunder tackling banned
5) Crazy new rules spoiling the game

More personal
1) Recovering from cancer giving me a whole new perspective on life
2) The birth 4 years ago of my wonderful granddaughter
3) The loss of a dear friends daughter and boyfriend at Manchester Arena
4) Foster children

Nothing really, I like the Premier League and I like the fact it has moved on from what it used to be in the 60s-90s, becoming so professional with proper understanding of sports fitness and sports science.

If people want 'real' football then they can always follow a local Sunday league team. For anything more serious, it's a natural progression for things to start to involve more and more money and become less of a grass roots situation instead turning into a business.

Might start diluting my interests a bit if the Mags become the richest club in the world, while we're stuck in League One (being run by a charlatan) for the foreseeable. Nowt but misery, football.

I just know I won't be able to stay away though :evil:

Last edited:
No longer having Saturday 3 o clock kick offs for all games
Wembley should only be used for Finals
Players been so far removed from the Fans cos of the crazy wages
Both teams coming out together - So americanised

Agree with all mate, lockdown has just reinforced to me how I'm falling out of love with the game

Being reliant on TV money from organisations run by right wing extremists

Money in football is frustrating like, but it's nowt new. My mate got some book on football from the 30s and there were a load of articles in there about money spoiling the game. It's all relative though isn't it, the difference now is probably how far removed from real life the money at the top is.

I've seen my six year old lose interest in football since it's been stopped like. Still does his training over Zoom and we'll have our kickabouts, but it's largely of sight out of mind at the minute. Got to admit I'm the same. Been meaning to watch some of the German games that have been on, and initially I was looking forward to the re-run of Euro 96, but I just haven't had the interest.

If anything our league position, the lack of organisation from the FA and EFL, and the self interest of clubs when it comes to whether to restart or not is fuelling the apathy. There's been no consistent approach to it and the only time fans have been considered is when factoring in the lack of income.

people who argue with other people about who is the 'bigger' club or what is a 'big club'

who gives a flying fuck. arguing about something that simply can't be measured, has no parameters and means fuck all. every club is the biggest club in the world to their own supporters. same argument applies to local derbies. attention seeking bollocks

oh and VAR. and people who claim to support VAR.

Back