The real test for Jack Ross

Bless you... group hug.

No the point the lad was making was that whichever of Ross’s-formations for which there were 5... none worked... zero absolutely nothing Ross did worked.

Ross buys Grigg, fans rightly blame mini Moyes.

I think I will marry Linda Lusardi bye god you are in the Egyptian River. Ross fuck off..
That’s not nice

Speaking to a Wigan fan after the play off final.
His son who supports Wigan loved max power so much he now takes him to most Sunderland games.
His bairn was even a mascot at SOL.
We discussed Grigg and he pointed out that we simply don't play to his strengths.
Also that Grigg didn't really want to join us

It didn't man. He played a few games and was useless wide, didn't even help really well physically as he was crap. Didn't he also give away possession easily and cost us a goal in one game?

We functioned far better with Khazri and Borini (even when he was out of sorts) and Watmore wide and they weren't as technically inept as N'doye and offered better support getting around Defoe.
Newcastle away, their equaliser?
All Ross has to do is get the team to press instead of sitting back (especially after going 1 up).

Less caution and a bit of urgency would have seen half of last season's draws turned into wins. I think he knows he has to go for it this season or he's gone.
Can't do it with our midfield.

every time I can remember us playing 442 in the last 7 years or so we've been terrible. Including this season - Coventry being the obvious example. remember on wms pod Grigg saying he was used to playing in 4321 - it's the year 2019 - 442 is not the answer to suddenly score more goals. you'd almost think all these highly trained and qualified managers would perhaps know this
Playing kamikaze jack Ross 442 yes. Played correctly it still works.

Hey but if you were happy watching the football we played last season with 1 isolated striker who am I to ask to see entertaining football.

Did you enjoy watching playing with no strikers at Wembley?

Speaking to a Wigan fan after the play off final.
His son who supports Wigan loved max power so much he now takes him to most Sunderland games.
His bairn was even a mascot at SOL.
We discussed Grigg and he pointed out that we simply don't play to his strengths.
Also that Grigg didn't really want to join us
Grigg looks like he doesn't want to be here, I don't buy this playing with an injury shite.

I remember Allardyce saying we had to work out a way to get Defoe into the game as the lone striker we he first arrived. He managed it very well.

Jack Ross Red n white army. I like him

I like him as he comes across as a decent fella. He was found wanting (and that's being generous) when the chips were down and everything was in our hands last season.
How he handles pressure, which hasn't looked great thus far is the main concern for me as it'll be ramped-up ten-fold next season.
He has no room for error at all.

Last edited:
The real test will be trying to work out what his strengths are before playing to them.

Worryingly you’re bang on here. I do like Ross but I can’t see this ending well unless he shows the strength of character to play the style of football he banged on about as his preferred style and an ability to spot a centre half who can stop other people playing instead of trying to be league one’s David Luiz or Beckenbauer.

I'd have been more impressed if he'd known what those strengths were before signing him.
2 marquee signings who can’t play together. Tremendous recruitment

Last edited:
There's times when you hear or read something and it resonates with you. Paul Cook the Wigan manager explained why Grigg hadn't played as often as he'd have liked this season and the answer was that the players needed to compliment him were injured so playing him without those players negated his strengths......and my first thought was oh shit, I bet we haven't researched him that thoroughly :lol:

Have you any idea what he meant? Did he enlarge on this? Do you know who these players were? What sort of player were they, and what were they doing that enabled Grigg to score?

I'm not trying to pull apart your post, it's a good quote. But tbh I know diddly-squat about Wigan. Going on Grigg's goal record, he's been excellent when in L1 (25 goals one season, but usually 19-20). But in the Championship he's looked poor - 9 goals in 1 and a half seasons. L1 seems to be his level.

The situation reminds me of Danny Graham in a way. Not good physically/in the air. Not very fast. Not a poacher. Didn't seem to have much. Yet Swansea had him scoring in the premiership before he came to us!

As for the OP. Ross should be judged on whether he gives us a strong attack next season, whether Grigg is involved or not. He doesn't seem to me to be the quality of player we should be focused on building the team around. We paid way too much for him, but SD must take responsibility for the price (Ross the choice of player). But the fee must not be the justification to make him the focus of our offensive strategy.

What is Ross going to do differently to ensure the most expensive financial outlay in the history of the 3rd division is going to score a goal or two ?

i..e. this is the wrong question

Last edited:
Have you any idea what he meant? Did he enlarge on this? Do you know who these players were? What sort of player were they, and what were they doing that enabled Grigg to score?

I'm not trying to pull apart your post, it's a good quote. But tbh I know diddly-squat about Wigan. Going on Grigg's goal record, he's been excellent when in L1 (25 goals one season, but usually 19-20). But in the Championship he's looked poor - 9 goals in 1 and a half seasons. L1 seems to be his level.

The situation reminds me of Danny Graham in a way. Not good physically/in the air. Not very fast. Not a poacher. Didn't seem to have much. Yet Swansea had him scoring in the premiership before he came to us!

As for the OP. Ross should be judged on whether he gives us a strong attack next season, whether Grigg is involved or not. He doesn't seem to me to be the quality of player we should be focused on building the team around. We paid way too much for him, but SD must take responsibility for the price (Ross the choice of player). But the fee must not be the justification to make him the focus of our offensive strategy.

i..e. this is the wrong question

Talking football: What next for Paul Cook, Wigan Athletic...and Will Grigg?

Wigan boss Paul Cook has no intention of selling Sunderland target Will Grigg - here's why

Between those two articles Cook gives some indication as to how he sets up with Grigg in the team. I can't find the more comprehensive interview I read but if I do I'll post it.

Last edited:
do you think any investor watching crap football will want to keep him, this is my opinion only.
I think he is great for the media great as a tough talkin manager , but I think he is way out of his depth, and he will not last 20 games UNLESS we buy decent players and get a great start wining the 1st 6-10 games.
The football is stinking and I wanted Ross gone straight after the embarrassing performance against Charlton at Wembley but he’s here and won’t be sacked after a pre-season game.

Great idea build the team around the most disinterested player. Ross will be gone by December after drawing loads of games.

Play offs at best next season. Lose at Wembley and another season in the arse end of football. Money and crowds reducing.

Sunderland simply should not be playing at this level and I’m worried about another wasted season.

Grigg looks like he doesn't want to be here, I don't buy this playing with an injury shite.
If he's not injured why has he withdrawn firm the norn Rland squad?

Pivotal moment of his season was his open goal miss vs Blackpool. From my alcohol puddled memory was his last (maybe only) chance of the season where he was running away from defenders.

Last edited:
Talking football: What next for Paul Cook, Wigan Athletic...and Will Grigg?

Wigan boss Paul Cook has no intention of selling Sunderland target Will Grigg - here's why

Between those two articles Cook gives some indication as to how he sets up with Grigg in the team. I can't find the more comprehensive interview I read but if I do I'll post it.

Thing is, he didn't generally set up with him last season. He did in League One, which we're obviously in, mind.
I think the first thing we need to do is make sure he actually wants to be here as he's gown nothing to suggest as such.

Thing is, he didn't generally set up with him last season. He did in League One, which we're obviously in, mind.
I think the first thing we need to do is make sure he actually wants to be here as he's gown nothing to suggest as such.

Played 17 games before his move to us and Cook explained why he hadn't started more.

Back