The "real" reason Reid should be sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly forgot - 7th is mid table. It certainly isn't near the top challenging for honours, which is where we deserve to be. Oh, I forgot, we've always been crap, so we should now be satisfied with 7th.

Well, then almost no manager would ever last more than one or two seasons. And I am sure you didn't expect to finish 7th the first year, and I am also pretty sure you were very happy with that result. Unless you belong to the group who will always say "not good enough, if he had spent more money we could have been 6th". And if 5th "if he had spent more money we could have been 4th".

Feed the Monster said:
Impossible to argue with these facts, hence presumably the deafening silence from the Reid Inners. And bear in mind that these damming stats come for a team with the third biggest gates in the country, in a state of the art stadium and one of the most profitable clubs in the land, not a ramshackle organisation like Leicester.
When Gullit was in charge of the scum and was busy destroying them, ask yourself how many SAFC fans wanted him to keep his job. Just about all of us, he was so laughable. And now ask yourself how many mags want reid in. Every single one I know and I know a few. From the outside looking in they all know he's a joke and know that we will continue to falter under him. If there was a lost magpie poll on the topic here they would all vote for him to keep his job.
There is no excuse, Reid should be sacked now.

I think you'll find that most "Reid inners" are just tired of saying the same thing over and over again.

These stats say nothing that we didnt know already - last season (starting tail end of previous one) was crap.

If I could be bothered, and I can't - well what would be the point?, I could get the stats for earlier seasons, which would be as glowing as these ones are bad, relative to reasonable expectations for SAFC.

Where are the stats for the next 38 games if we sack Reid - they're the only ones that are going to finally prove your argument.

Boi said:
Nearly forgot - 7th is mid table. It certainly isn't near the top challenging for honours, which is where we deserve to be. Oh, I forgot, we've always been crap, so we should now be satisfied with 7th.

Well, then almost no manager would ever last more than one or two seasons. And I am sure you didn't expect to finish 7th the first year, and I am also pretty sure you were very happy with that result. Unless you belong to the group who will always say "not good enough, if he had spent more money we could have been 6th". And if 5th "if he had spent more money we could have been 4th".

I'd give up on this one if I was you mate, your just digging yourself a larger hole.

At the end of the day thousands and thousands of supporters can't be wrong, they all feel the same way.

Boi said:

Don't want to kick you when you are down mate, you have quite rightly taken a bit of a pasting over some of your comments. But the alarming thing for me, is that with people like yourself around then I'm afraid we'll never get rid of Reid until he has relegated us and worse still bankrupted the club, not to mention the 15 thousand lost off the gate.

Isn't it true that every manager eventually runs out of luck/ideas/motivation and leaves/is sacked.

Look at Cloughy at Forest. Won everything in his day but eventually became a liability.
The same happened to Shankly (in the end he was even banned from the training ground by the club), Alf Ramsey, even Robbo took Boro to a few finals.

It is painful to admit but history is for fans and museums, the here and now is the only thing that is really important. Even last seasons results count for nothing now that the new season has started. Two games, no goals and one point (with no likelyhood of any more in the next few weeks) bothers me more than what happened in the past and who has what kind of record.

Ok, I'll leave the discussion to the "Reid out group" then. But is it never dull to have the same thing repeated over and over again: "Reid out, sack the monkey, dull football, mid-table results, falling out with players, bring back Summerbee, sack Heath, sack Saxton, Murray out, bring in George Burley (oops, David O'Leary), last season was poor ..." And if someone tries to suggest differently it's: "digging a hole for yourself, blind, idiot - just to name a few of the milder things you have be prepared for.

Shack said:
Isn't it true that every manager eventually runs out of luck/ideas/motivation and leaves/is sacked.

Look at Cloughy at Forest. Won everything in his day but eventually became a liability.
The same happened to Shankly (in the end he was even banned from the training ground by the club), Alf Ramsey, even Robbo took Boro to a few finals.

It is painful to admit but history is for fans and museums, the here and now is the only thing that is really important. Even last seasons results count for nothing now that the new season has started. Two games, no goals and one point (with no likelyhood of any more in the next few weeks) bothers me more than what happened in the past and who has what kind of record.

Sorry m8 but thats just plain bolox. You have to consider a whole conglomeration of things:

1) what is the managers track record (since 1st day on job)
2) what happened last season ?
3) what is the risk of things getting worse ?
4) does he have the team's confidence ?
5) what is the cost of replacing him ?
6) what candidates are around that would actually take the job?
etc..
etc..

Boi said:
Ok, I'll leave the discussion to the "Reid out group" then. But is it never dull to have the same thing repeated over and over again: "Reid out, sack the monkey, dull football, mid-table results, falling out with players, bring back Summerbee, sack Heath, sack Saxton, Murray out, bring in George Burley (oops, David O'Leary), last season was poor ..." And if someone tries to suggest differently it's: "digging a hole for yourself, blind, idiot - just to name a few of the milder things you have be prepared for.

don't forget the "where were we before Reid took over", and "look what Alex Ferguson did at Man Utd" , they are equally tired old arguments.

Stir said:
Boi said:
So you stick with a manager who has won things elsewhere? And if he is "good"? So a "good" manager can have bad results two years in a row and you should still stick with him?

Fergie had a fantastic record at Aberdeen, and had actually won things, and knew about competing at the highest level. Yes, his board were prepared to wait, but his side was NEVER in danger of getting releagted, or of never scoring a goal again.

The only sides apart from Man U to stick with a manager for ages are West Ham and Ipswich. Maybe that is the level you aspire to ?

Reid has 151 points from 116 Premiership games since the last promotion, this would give an average of 49 points and 14th position, goals would be 43. This doesn't sound too bad, although not what you should be aiming for.

What is bad is a points trend of 58...57...35 and a goals trend of 57...46...29...0

You could also say that we've averaged 10th place (7/7/17) - thats better than I thought I'd see in my lifetime.

And why do you think that we have some sort of birthright to be a top 3-4 club ? There are another couple of dozen who also think that, and they can't all fit into four places in the table.

I'd be as happy as anyone to see SAFC be the new ManU, but I wouldn't like it to become our Capt Ahab's Whale - going for it at all costs and risks, because we have some delusion that we are due it.

don't forget the "where were we before Reid took over", and "look what Alex Ferguson did at Man Utd" , they are equally tired old arguments.

So unless you have something new to say, which of course has to be against Reid, you should stay out of every discussion?

Paul Lemon Fan Club said:
Boi said:

There is nothing more "tired" and "old" than constantly pointing out that we just had a crap season, which is all you are (again) doing with your stats. We all know that, and it doesn't even need working out.

At least the regular counterpoint about what we have acheived under Reid requires a bit understanding about football, industry and our historical performance as a club, so its marginally less tiresome than the above.

Boi said:

Fully respect your determination to argue your point, your entitled to your opinion. After all, football is all about opinions, if it wasn't for opinions this board would not exist.

It's just very hard for people like myself to understand your opinion in the current state of affairs.

Boi said:

Don't want to kick you when you are down mate, you have quite rightly taken a bit of a pasting over some of your comments. But the alarming thing for me, is that with people like yourself around then I'm afraid we'll never get rid of Reid until he has relegated us and worse still bankrupted the club, not to mention the 15 thousand lost off the gate.

I've been reading it and it seems to me that his "pasting" says much more about the people doing it than the recipient (whose points seem generally fair enough to me - seems the only problem is that you dont agree).

But then again, when someone chucks a pint of beer at a football club manager, I also blame the chucker not the target.

Martian said:
Boi said:

I'd give up on this one if I was you mate, your just digging yourself a larger hole.

At the end of the day thousands and thousands of supporters can't be wrong, they all feel the same way.

You mean that they want Reid out ? What about the thousands who don't ? Why is their opinion less valid - because they don't agree with you, so they must be "wrong" ?

Hetzkes Ballet Teacher said:
Boi said:

There is nothing more "tired" and "old" than constantly pointing out that we just had a crap season, which is all you are (again) doing with your stats. We all know that, and it doesn't even need working out.

At least the regular counterpoint about what we have acheived under Reid requires a bit understanding about football, industry and our historical performance as a club, so its marginally less tiresome than the above.

I personally would like to ask you three questions

Are you are happy with a perennial fight against relegation?

What hope can you possibly draw from the current situation, that leads you to believe things are going to improve?

Do you prefer pass and move football or the long ball game?

We have not played well for 20 months under Peter Reid now.

I would like to see these thousands who are still pro-Reid as well.

Granted there may be 5000 of you, that's against at least 50,000 who want him out in my guesstimation.

Boi said:

It takes a cool head and the ability to analyse the "big picture" to see through the recent run of poor form and conclude that it might actually end without sacking the manager.

Unfortunately the converse is also true - there are a few people round here that have made their decision, thats it, and anyone who disagrees is gonna get flamed. You'll never get them involved in an intelligent exchange of views and reasoning - not even worth trying.

One of the main arguments from the reid camp is who would we get to replace him. Well on his current run of 3 wins this year, scoring 12 goals
and losing 11 games, Krusty the Klown couldn't do any worse.

If Bob is not happy for Reid to take us down again then he should gamble on someone who maybe untried at the top level or coaches overseas (as Houlier & Wenger did) because (reprise) nobody could do much worse.

Weremuthe said:
One of the main arguments from the reid camp is who would we get to replace him. Well on his current run of 3 wins this year, scoring 12 goals
and losing 11 games, Krusty the Klown couldn't do any worse.

If Bob is not happy for Reid to take us down again then he should gamble on someone who maybe untried at the top level or coaches overseas (as Houlier & Wenger did) because (reprise) nobody could do much worse.

Agree :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back