The "real" reason Reid should be sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perryqhill said:
I know it has no real relevence, i was just bored - Big Dunc £3.5m, Tal £1m :p

Smith was a good book balancer. If you go to www.soccerbase.com and click on transfers you can see what I mean

01/02, £1 million net loss
00/01, £2 million net profit
99/00, £6 million net profit
98/99, £12 million net loss
97/98, £2.5 million net profit

He had one daft year (98/99) but apart from that Smith was very frugal and only spent 500k net in his five years.

Reid has traded as follows:

02/03: £6.5 million net loss
01/02: £2.5 million net loss
00/01: £11 million net loss
99/00: £2 million net loss
98/99: £1.5 million net loss
97/98: £2.5 million net loss
96/97: £5.5 million net loss
95/96: £1 million net loss

£32 million net loss @ £4 million net loss per season.

Even Robbo compares favourably to Reidy on net spend:

00/01: 12m loss
99/00: 6.5m loss
98/99: 1m profit
97/98: 2m loss
96/7: 12m profit
95/6: 14m loss
94/95: 1m loss

£24.5 million net loss @ £3.5 million net loss per season.

The bloke is a phenomenon.

Martian said:
The Reid inners are conspicuous by their absence on this one.

EGGZACTLYMARRA. I expected at least a comment from Billericay about "lies damned lies and statistics". No getting away from the basic facts, the last 38 games were a disgrace and managers have been sacked for achieving more for less money.

If Peter Reid's Net loss on transfers is £32 million that means he has spent more (Net) than Arsen wenger has done since he started as Arsenal Manager.

Arsene Wengers Net spending since 1996 = £26 million
Peter Reids Net spending since 1996 = £32 million.

Unbelievable what figures can show isn't it? :eek:

38 games? About a season, isn't it? So it proves that last season was bad. Has somebody ever disagreed? As for the spending: do you suggest he should have sold SK to balance the books? I thought people were upset because Reid doesn't make any signings, not because he doesn't sell.

well as you know Smoker am a vociferous Reid Out man, and have came up with many reasons myself over the last couple of years as to why i think he should go, but this thread has just totally and utterly staggered me.

The comparison of those 38 games is unbelieveable. I had a fair idea that the spending was a lot higher than most of his "defenders" think it is, but even the amounts you have mentioned have staggered me.

Talk about giving him a second chance is well and truly blown out of the water with the FACTS posted on this thread. He must be well past his second chance now.

Please get him out Murray NOW!!! You've wasted enough time already, so dont waste any more, and dont let him drag us down before its too late!

38 games

Good job those games weren't all in the same season :wink:

34 points defo wouldn't keep us up.

DS

Re: fwf

Teejay said:
1 Win by Xmas - I'd take that at this precise moment.

But we'd beaten absolutely no Premiership sides the season Reid took over 7 years ago. Now that's progress.

who would you expect to beat ?

Looking at the fixtures West Ham in October might be a chance, they're crap away from home, or Birmingham at the end of November, although may be one of the few clubs who actually come to Sunderland for a draw, probably be somebody daft like Arsenal away. :lol:

Newcastle sacked McFaul 9 days after his side won at Anfield

Boi said:
38 games? About a season, isn't it? So it proves that last season was bad. Has somebody ever disagreed? As for the spending: do you suggest he should have sold SK to balance the books? I thought people were upset because Reid doesn't make any signings, not because he doesn't sell.

Well, if you tracked back enough games Walter Smith was winning doubles and trebles with Rangers. Did that mean he deserved his chance at Everton? A bad season in football isn't one of those things you just write off, like accidentally stepping in dog shit...it all goes on the report card.

Boi said:

why not maybe add in the previous 20 games as well. do you think that that will show a marked improvement in his record??

as for your little point about selling people. are you really as naive and stupid as you appear??

People have claimed that we cant afford this and that, and that Reid hasnt the sort of funds as other managers have had etc but these figures prove that wrong.

The figures show to me that he has continually wasted away good money on garbage, and as a result of buying garbage the resale values of players are rarely as much as he paid for the players.

well, nominate this thread for the gold board marra or I will have to research these stats all over again and put up with weeks of pro-Reids arguing the "Mean Murray" myth. :roll: :wink:

all these stats are interesting and damning, but it all pales into insignificance against his transfer activity this summer.

29 goals last season highlights an almighty goalscoring problem. A defence with less goals conceded than the Mags last season suggests a cause for concern ( :lol: ) but not the end of the world.

To not have managed to persuade any striker to join the club in the 100+ days since the end of last season is a dismissable offence to me.

Aiming for 29 goals this season seems pie in the sky at the moment.

It reminds me of the Adamson Xmas period in 76 (?) which then turned into the wonder 16 goals in three games run. It still wasn't enough in the end, all because of two late Mag goals at Roker, or was it Coventry's chairman, I forget which

My guess is that Murray thinks like this: SAFC won div. 1, next season 7th in Premiership, then 7th again. Then a very bad season. Well, 3 decent seasons should buy Reid some time.

Furthermore, could someone please do some research on Man U and Alex Ferguson before they started winning things? Then compare their past league results when he took over as opposed to SAFC three or four seasons ago? And tell me how Reid does in that comparison?

The facts on spending are quite staggering. And do go a long way to vindicating Murray. Another interesting point would be to see how mutch has been spent on forwards in proportion to midfield/Defence. Unlike allmost any other club where most of there biggest fees will have been on forwards. Is it a suprise we can't score goals.

Boi said:
Furthermore, could someone please do some research on Man U and Alex Ferguson before they started winning things? Then compare their past league results when he took over as opposed to SAFC three or four seasons ago? And tell me how Reid does in that comparison?

Man U under Fergie

87/88 2nd 81points, 40 games, 71 goals
88/89 11th 51points, 38 games, 45 goals
89/90 13th 48 points, 38 games, 46 goals
90/91 6th 59 points, 38 games, 58 goals
91/92 2nd 78 points, 38 games, 63 goals

so in 5 seasons 63 points per season, 56 goals per season

also won FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup in this period

Ferguson had also won Cup Winners Cup and Super Cup with Aberdeen.

Boi said:
My guess is that Murray thinks like this: SAFC won div. 1, next season 7th in Premiership, then 7th again. Then a very bad season. Well, 3 decent seasons should buy Reid some time.

My point is that he would not get any more time at any other club. Why are Sunderland continually run for the benefit of their employees and not the customers??

smoker said:
Boi said:

My point is that he would not get any more time at any other club. Why are Sunderland continually run for the benefit of their employees and not the customers??

Because in today's world of football the supporter's money is feck all compared to SKY/ITV/sponsors/corporate entertaining...... etc

Royston Vasey said:
smoker said:
Boi said:

Because in today's world of football the supporter's money is feck all compared to SKY/ITV/sponsors/corporate entertaining...... etc

not true, fans pay in roughly the same as telly, thing is telly has one voice, fans have too many

So under Ron Atkinson Man U was never worse than 4th. In comes Ferguson. 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th. Ferguson should certainly have been sacked.

Boi said:
So under Ron Atkinson Man U was never worse than 4th. In comes Ferguson. 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th. Ferguson should certainly have been sacked.

Poor logic there. The results under Ferguson bear no relation to the statistics presented in the initial post which were quite shocking.

A better statement may have been Ron Atkinson should NEVER have been sacked !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back