The problem with God is that he can’t take a joke

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date
So because life happened here it must've happened elsewhere. Aye reeto :lol:
I don't know who you are quoting (it may be somebody I have on ignore) but I certainly didn't ever write that.

It wouldn't come as a surprise if there was life out there somewhere. Certainly doesn't follow that because it happened here then it must have happened elsewhere.

Berk
(Berkeley Hunt)

We know nothing about the beginning of the universe.

We know, reasonably accurately, how long ago it was.

Last edited:

I don't know who you are quoting (it may be somebody I have on ignore) but I certainly didn't ever write that.

It wouldn't come as a surprise if there was life out there somewhere. Certainly doesn't follow that because it happened here then it must have happened elsewhere.
He was quoting me , look into it marra the aliens are already here I know it sounds crazy but look for yourself and make your own mind up.

The main problem with god is that he doesn't 'and never has' exist. Even Santa Clause and The Tooth Fairy laugh when you mention him ffs.

Because the atheist hypothesis isn't bollocks

And how are you evaluating the bollocksness of either hypothesis?

We know, reasonably accurately, how long ago it was.

No, we believe we know how long ago it was, based on inferences drawn from limited indirect evidence, making a large number of unverified and unverifiable assumptions along the way.

Last edited:
No, we believe we know how long ago it was, based on inferences drawn from limited indirect evidence, making a large number of unverified and unverifiable assumptions along the way.

It's not indirect evidence. We can measure the rate of expansion and work backwards to show when the universe would have been a single point.

He was quoting me , look into it marra the aliens are already here I know it sounds crazy but look for yourself and make your own mind up.
I don't doubt that you've managed to convince yourself.

Last edited:
It always seems very strange to me that the region on earth where God first became known and where His prophets and followers establish various religions and churches in praise of Him has been one of the most consistantly violent places on the planet for the past 2000 years. And the main cause of the continuation of the violence are the religions that are dedicated to him.

On that basis I would say that the OP is completely wrong and that God loves a bloody good joke.

What the fuck you going on about Cowhead.

I'm working on the basis that there's a lot of biddies who attend Mass... and you want full frontal nudity.

Getting back to the topic, I notice that the Dean of Derby Cathedral has been spot on about all this -
He said the films won't be "showing God anything that he hasn't seen before".
He added the cathedral was "for everybody" and it needed to serve a wide range of people in Derby.
"The first thing we're trying to do is open the cathedral to new people," he said.
"It doesn't just belong to the people who go to church; it certainly doesn't belong to me; it doesn't just belong to religious people.

Well that's certainly one way to open up your venue to a wider audience

It's not indirect evidence. We can measure the rate of expansion and work backwards to show when the universe would have been a single point.

I don't doubt that you've managed to convince yourself.

A) Since measuring expansion is not measuring age, it is indirect evidence.
B) How are we measuring the distances? In particular, how are we verifying that standard candles at long distances behave as expected*?
C) How are do we determine whether what we see landing on CCDs in astronomy labs is, in fact, representative of faraway patches of space we can never hope to reach?

Everything we observe could be down to an expanding universe. Or it could be a carefully orchestrated light-show put on by the Great Intergalactic Squid as part of a practical joke and / or mating ritual. Or it could be something else.

We have nothing to decide between any hypothesis about the universe other than what we feel is plausible. Unless plausibility can be backed up by probability** then it is nothing more than prejudice and/or faith.

And none of the above are inconsistent with the existence of a supreme God. They are only inconsistent with the creation account in Genesis. Since many Christian denominations reject literalism, an expanding universe isn't even inconsistent with Christianity.

When anyone, priest or physicist, speaks dogmatically about the universe, they are speaking about their own faith.

* Clue - we can't and they aren't. It is an assumption.
** Which it can't.

In a time of falling congregations, the Christians could learn a great deal about community engagement from The Wicker Man.

The original, rather than the awful remake. If they put the remake on, they might as well just burn the whole place down

When it comes to explaining the universe, scientific theory takes us back to a point when it was the size of a peach consisting of unknown material with no concept of how long it had been there since time began with the peach.

The peach exploded to create matter and energy from which all material things are formed, using observation and maths we've created a set of contentious physical laws that determine this universe will continue expanding for eternity.

Fortunately, there have been some useful byproducts otherwise the peach theory is about as close as the sky fairy theory in answering the question of creation.

I don't doubt that is what they believe.

My stance is simple, same as with everything in life. I'll accept something exists if there is evidence to back it up. I'll connect a lamp to a battery and accept electricity exists. I'll drop a stone and watch it fall downwards and accept gravity exists. I'll look out of window to accept the sub exists. When somebody produces reproducible evidence so we can each independently show a god exists then I'll entertain it. Same goes for hobbits by the way.

As far as any of the gods exiskting AND the religious authorities knowing their mind and what we are instructed to do.... complete and utter bullshit if he highest, saddest and most dangerous order. Such a shame that deluded people fall for it all.

You look into the reason for everything before you believe it or do you just assume some stuff like we all do because that's what we are told?

I assumed the earth orbits the Sun but until I was reading a book and it was explained how this was proved. prior to that, I had just taken it as "gospel"

I do the same for loads of stuff and I'm sure most other people do. You may be a science aficionado and look into it all.

You look into the reason for everything before you believe it or do you just assume some stuff like we all do because that's what we are told?

I assumed the earth orbits the Sun but until I was reading a book and it was explained how this was proved. prior to that, I had just taken it as "gospel"

I do the same for loads of stuff and I'm sure most other people do. You may be a science aficionado and look into it all.
I think I'm just curious and care to understand why things I am told are true. I'm not obsessive about it though. Seemingly others believe any old shite (religion) without requiring any evidence whatsoever.

I think I'm just curious and care to understand why things I am told are true. I'm not obsessive about it though. Seemingly others believe any old shite (religion) without requiring any evidence whatsoever.

That was my point. I have believed loads of stuff in my life without looking at the proof. I don't think I'm that daft.

Love a God thread just to watch Kent flying in every time :lol:

he loves it.:lol:

Back