The problem with God is that he can’t take a joke

• Thread starter Deleted member 23273
  • Start date

Have you not heard the witness statements of very credible people like Army Generals etc, there is loads of evidence, witness statements are used as evidence in a court of law. They are obviously not lying and you may say they saw something and jumped to a conclusion but in their own words they say they believe its extra terrestrial. If you look into it you will find lots of credible evidence however there is non whatsoever for god existing.
I don't doubt that is what they believe.

Bearing in mind that "that's what God wants" is a complete and coherent explanation for every observation, how did you choose between the deist/theist hypothesis and the atheist hypothesis?
My stance is simple, same as with everything in life. I'll accept something exists if there is evidence to back it up. I'll connect a lamp to a battery and accept electricity exists. I'll drop a stone and watch it fall downwards and accept gravity exists. I'll look out of window to accept the sub exists. When somebody produces reproducible evidence so we can each independently show a god exists then I'll entertain it. Same goes for hobbits by the way.

As far as any of the gods exiskting AND the religious authorities knowing their mind and what we are instructed to do.... complete and utter bullshit if he highest, saddest and most dangerous order. Such a shame that deluded people fall for it all.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that is what they believe.

My stance is simple, same as with everything in life. I'll accept something exists if there is evidence to back it up. I'll connect a lamp to a battery and accept electricity exists. I'll drop a stone and watch it fall downwards and accept gravity exists. I'll look out of window to accept the sub exists. When somebody produces reproducible evidence so we can each independently show a god exists then I'll entertain it. Same goes for hobbits by the way.

As far as any of the gods exiskting AND the religious authorities knowing their mind and what we are instructed to do.... complete and utter bullshit if he highest, saddest and most dangerous order. Such a shame that deluded people fall for it all.

Right. You've picked very concrete examples. Do you need to have personality gathered the evidence for you to accept something's existence?

Right. You've picked very concrete examples. Do you need to have personality gathered the evidence for you to accept something's existence?
No, but the evidence needs to be repeatable, feasibly and reliable.

Any of us, as an example, could shine sunlight through a prism to split into the spectrum. Then pass one of the colours alone, using a slit, through a second prism to show that colour light is pure.

No, but the evidence needs to be repeatable, feasibly and reliable.

Any of us, as an example, could shine sunlight through a prism to split into the spectrum. Then pass one of the colours alone, using a slit, through a second prism to show that colour light is pure.

Quite a lot of the evidence that underpins the whole of cosmology is just photons in a CCD. Yet on that very shaky foundation cosmologists make very bold statements about this and that.

We can't test their ideas, because we can't travel that far.

Pointing the telescope at the same patch of sky and getting the same result doesn't really give us much more insight into what that scintillating dot actually is. It might be a standard candle. Or it might be somebody pissing about.

We know nothing about the beginning of the universe. Even if we think we've worked it out, "that's what God wants" still fits. In the end it comes down to faith and blind belief either way.

Back