the priority doesn’t seem to be promotion

poolie

Midfield
.. well.. for this season it doesn’t

The play offs are insight but from what’s been said by the manager in his press conferences and by the actions of the club it just doesn’t.
The sights are set firmly on the long term.

Maybe this will be a missed opportunity. The club have their vision and I’m massively onboard with it, the work they’ve done to get us to this point has been great.

If there was a time to break the mould and spend some money on a couple of players to kick us on, this was the moment. I hope its not one we look back on with regret.

It depends. Whilst I’d never say no to the £150M that promotion brings, for our long term I’d rather go up automatically next season with a good base for staying up and have another long run in the top tier. If we were promoted this season we’d struggle, regardless of our performance against Fulham at the weekend

The play offs are insight but from what’s been said by the manager in his press conferences and by the actions of the club it just doesn’t.

Maybe this will be a missed opportunity. The club have their vision and I’m massively onboard with it, the work they’ve done to get us to this point has been great.

If there was a time to break the mould and spend some money on a couple of players to kick us on, this was the moment. I hope its not one we look back on with regret.

why?

the january window is notorious for shite deals and clubs getting ripped off

the time to start flashing the cash is this summer, when we stay up comfortably (achieving the main aim of this season) and evaluating which loans are going back, who is staying, the injuries to evans, stewart and embleton, and buying players to improve the team based on that.

panicking in january when we are having the first comfortable season in the last 10 years is the opposite of what we need to do.

play the younguns for the rest of the season (we have no other choice) , possibly get to 5th/6th round of the FA cup and be around the playoffs all season and come the summer there'll be a lot of young talented players wanting to come here.

everyone just needs to calm the fuck down

Priority is to spend/invest as little as possible, and if possible turn a handsome profit. Surely there's nobody who doesn't see this by now, regardless of whether or not they see it as a positive or a negative?
Or become sustainable so we don’t end up in a place where we’ve just come from. Saddled with shite overpaid players bleeding this club dry?

This was a moment, not the moment.

I've no doubt we were trying to get ourselves a good deal on the day all window.

It depends. Whilst I’d never say no to the £150M that promotion brings, for our long term I’d rather go up automatically next season with a good base for staying up and have another long run in the top tier. If we were promoted this season we’d struggle, regardless of our performance against Fulham at the weekend
“We can plan for promotion next season” is going to become the new “we need to be relegated to get rid of the dead wood”.

It’ll end up with the same results in terms of awful on-pitch performances and stagnant development and investment.

why?

the time to start flashing the cash is this summer, when we stay up comfortably (achieving the main aim of this season) and evaluating which loans are going back, who is staying, the injuries to evans, stewart and embleton, and buying players to improve the team based on that.

panicking in january when we are having the first comfortable season in the last 10 years is the opposite of what we need to do.

play the younguns for the rest of the season (we have no other choice) , possibly get to 5th/6th round of the FA cup and be around the playoffs all season and come the summer there'll be a lot of young talented players wanting to come here.

Good post, I agree.

Or become sustainable so we don’t end up in a place where we’ve just come from. Saddled with shite overpaid players bleeding this club dry?

Yeah, the only two options are (i) play half a season with one centre forward (who apparently isn't an out-and-out centre forward at all), or (ii) administration.
One where you don’t make knee jerk changes to long term strategy.

There's nothing knee jerk about having the basic building blocks of a football squad.

Yeah, the only two options are (i) play half a season with one centre forward (who apparently isn't an out-and-out centre forward at all), or (ii) administration.

There's nothing knee jerk about having the basic building blocks of a football squad.
We have a perfectly good foundation to build upon in the seasons going forward, with a longer term plan of getting us back into the Premiership.

why?

Its not panicing to have striker cover.
Were Man United panicing when they replaced Errikson in a day?

We have a perfectly good foundation to build upon in the seasons going forward, with a longer term plan of getting us back into the Premiership.

Ah yeah I remember now. "They'll tell us" when they've decided this club can try to get back in the Premier League again.

Stand down everyone, we've not had permission to recognise that we're a point off the play offs yet.

Speakman, KLD, Mowbray have said all season promotion isn't a priority. I'm disappointed we haven't replaced Stewart or Evans, but not surprised. Time will tell whether it was a good call or not.

Back