The price of a pint

It isn’t. A lot of breweries sell to Spoons at a loss or at cost price (I’ve no f***ing idea why!). A barrel of decent beer is going to cost AT LEAST £80 (often much much more) and there are 72 pints in a barrel but some of that is lost so most places work off 66 saleable pints. So that’s 1.21 a pint excluding VAT (£1.45 including)...how little do you expect a pub to make? Even at £2.15 it’s only be 58p per pint markup (a whole £38 per barrel) And what do you think the running costs of pubs are? People need to be paid, rent, rates, gas, electric etc etc. Pubs have been closing rapidly for years...is that because they make too much profit?
Spoons were selling Double Maxim at £1.79 a pint when I was in the one in Seaham the other week.

Maxim brewery themselves sell it at £2 a pint when they open the bar once a month.

The Guinness in the former flying scotsmannat KX was amazing on Friday night. As good as any I’ve tasted in approx 40yrs of periodic Guinness drinking.

wine stores bar it’s called. I get in regularly as I’m often staying around kings cross.
It’s a cracking boozer with great choice of beers.

EDIT it’s also Scottish stores which connects through to wine stores.

Last edited:
wine stores bar it’s called. I get in regularly as I’m often staying around kings cross.
It’s a cracking boozer with great choice of beers.

EDIT it’s also Scottish stores which connects through to wine stores.

Round there thursday so its on the list thanks!

I’m one of these weirdos who gans out 2-3 times a week so the price of a pint is of interest.

Depends if you're the type who wants to get hammered and would rather drink something if it's cheap rather than if it's good. Obviously if you just stick to mainstream then aye, you'd suss out the better priced.

Depends if you're the type who wants to get hammered and would rather drink something if it's cheap rather than if it's good. Obviously if you just stick to mainstream then aye, you'd suss out the better priced.

I don’t get hammered often but it’s easy to be cavalier about the price of a pint when your out infrequently.

I don’t get hammered often but it’s easy to be cavalier about the price of a pint when your out infrequently.

I'm out a at least twice week after work, but having two or three beers usually, so will prefer to go to places serving rarer and often more pricier stuff. Had three in the Cluny not long ago. Don't think I got more than a couple of quid change from 20 :lol:

Anyway, the OP point is more about people on a proper night out swerving places due to price. Which is ridiculous tbf.

Last edited:
2015 according to Wikipedia although I thought it was earlier than that.
a lot of the area got revamped in 2011/12 for the olympics as they didn’t want people coming off Eurostar’s and heading straight into dodge city

I think 2015 was about right mate.

Yes, it had to be cleaned up big time.

Remember those dark days of the past? Grim as fuck round there.

"Five Amps" all ower and plenty of ladies of the night (and day).

I remember the DPP getting done for kerb crawling on York Way.

Itll be about 20 year since first worked round there.
Was having s sarnie opposing kc entrance, big square grass area?
Old blokes taking very young lasses into bnbs all around me.

it was a huge eye opener to us young northerners when witnessing that for the first time.
strippers, hookers, rent boys, junkies, beggars, sleazy bars, violence, pick pockets.

a mad mad place.

Back