The Police totp2 singles special

No not all
No synths, different vocals, totally different guitar style

really? :)

I know a lot of people who consider it a given that at the start U2 wanted to sound like Simple Minds as a way to progress (read; copied their style/template)... in the early 80's Simple Minds were established and out there, and if you look back at various interviews you will see plenty of quotes about U2 or Bono who tried to get their producer (Lilywhite?) to recreate sound of New Gold Dream and Sparkle in The Rain albums!!

It was around 82/83 period that The Police released last album, last tours, etc and I think it was during 1983 that Sting had decided to go solo as The Police by then had become biggest (rock) band in the world... the promoters like Harvey Goldsmith and Phil McIntyre needed a new stadium rock band.... then by mid 80's there was also liveaid and the whole North American market scenarios that unfolded involving U2 and their irish roots ;)

U2 copied Simple Minds... its a known fact

really? :)

I know a lot of people who consider it a given that at the start U2 wanted to sound like Simple Minds as a way to progress (read; copied their style/template)... in the early 80's Simple Minds were established and out there, and if you look back at various interviews you will see plenty of quotes about U2 or Bono who tried to get their producer (Lilywhite?) to recreate sound of New Gold Dream and Sparkle in The Rain albums!!

It was around 82/83 period that The Police released last album, last tours, etc and I think it was during 1983 that Sting had decided to go solo as The Police by then had become biggest (rock) band in the world... the promoters like Harvey Goldsmith and Phil McIntyre needed a new stadium rock band.... then by mid 80's there was also liveaid and the whole North American market scenarios that unfolded involving U2 and their irish roots ;)

U2 copied Simple Minds... its a known fact
😄
U2 came before SM
Their first albums were pretty much in unison and sound nowt like each other really
They quote influences like punk and Reed and Bowie etc
Sharing good producers and promoters sniffing money has little to do with it . U2 hit the big venues first, kerr was quoted as seeing them and being in awe and saying his band needed to change their game
That was New gold dream era
Then they're suddenly writing average stadium songs and Kerr is leaping around . The beginning of the end for them imo

Last edited:
😄

U2 came before SM
Their first albums were pretty much in unison and sound nowt like each other really
They quote influences like punk and Reed and Bowie etc
Sharing good producers and promoters sniffing money has little to do with it . U2 hit the big venues first, kerr was quoted as seeing them and being in awe and saying his band needed to change their game
That was New gold dream era
Then they're suddenly writing average stadium songs and Kerr is leaping around . The beginning of the end for them imo

Wow :eek::lol:

Each to their own then... it sounds like you have gathered 'your opinions' or even beliefs by reading too many U2 fanboy sites ;)
Curious now though... did those same sites re-writing history (best summary I can give) also tell same U2 types or fans how they used to play the 'pay/donate a dollar into the bucket to buy a bullet to kill a British soldier' venues in places like NYC or Boston in the early/mid 80's that got them the yank irish support fanbase?... or did they re-write that part of their rise in NorthAmerica? ;)

musical fact: when U2 (or Bono) heard New Gold Dream and then Sparkle in the Rain (1982 to 1984 period) it was them who realized they had to change their sound... New Gold Dream was recorded in summer of 82 and then released just before U2 went to record War
Also, Simple Minds were out touring all across Europe with Peter Gabriel in 1980 way way before U2 had even put together a single decent UK tour???!!! :lol:

By 1981/82 they were out touring Europe (and UK) in their own right/tour... second leg at:

Wow :eek::lol:

Each to their own then... it sounds like you have gathered 'your opinions' or even beliefs by reading too many U2 fanboy sites ;)
Curious now though... did those same sites re-writing history (best summary I can give) also tell same U2 types or fans how they used to play the 'pay/donate a dollar into the bucket to buy a bullet to kill a British soldier' venues in places like NYC or Boston in the early/mid 80's that got them the yank irish support fanbase?... or did they re-write that part of their rise in NorthAmerica? ;)

musical fact: when U2 (or Bono) heard New Gold Dream and then Sparkle in the Rain (1982 to 1984 period) it was them who realized they had to change their sound... New Gold Dream was recorded in summer of 82 and then released just before U2 went to record War
Also, Simple Minds were out touring all across Europe with Peter Gabriel in 1980 way way before U2 had even put together a single decent UK tour???!!! :lol:

By 1981/82 they were out touring Europe (and UK) in their own right/tour... second leg at:

I was in a supermarket the other day and they had Walking On The Moon playing. After not hearing it for a long time it sounded as great as it first did. Pity Sting is such a bellend.

Don't Stand So Close To Me was one of the first singles I ever bought, fantastic song. The Police and Blondie were two of my favourite bands, both had a catalogue of seemingly never ending great songs and videos.

Not surprised The Police split up, Sting seems a bit of an arse and most interviews I've seen of them they end up fighting and arguing by the end of it.

Back