The Police totp2 singles special

I didn't like Walking On The Moon or De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da but beyond that great singles. I'm possibly in a minority but I thought that some of their later singles were amongst their best work: Invisible Sun, Wrapped Around Your Finger, King Of Pain in particular.
All great ,they just progressed and it was on the cards Sting would walk

The Police were a brilliant band late 70's/early 80's... some would argue that with them deciding to call it a day (sting going solo) the musical world needed a new stadium rock band to fill the agenda in worldwide tours and U2 were simply in right place at the right time despite them having copied the Simple Minds template sound wise... so IMO if The Police had just carried on a few more years we would have got a much more deserving band to take over the mantle of stadium fillers in the 80's ;):lol:

The Police were a brilliant band late 70's/early 80's... some would argue that with them deciding to call it a day (sting going solo) the musical world needed a new stadium rock band to fill the agenda in worldwide tours and U2 were simply in right place at the right time despite them having copied the Simple Minds template sound wise... so IMO if The Police had just carried on a few more years we would have got a much more deserving band to take over the mantle of stadium fillers in the 80's ;):lol:
Weird scenario based on "some would argue "
I'm confused , they and many more where around as stadium rock took off
Whoever could sell tickets did them .
I loved Simple minds and don't hear U2
In fact their ruin was trying to be U2

Weird scenario based on "some would argue "
I'm confused , they and many more where around as stadium rock took off
Whoever could sell tickets did them .
In fact their ruin was trying to be U2

ok where to start... try this the other way around:

early U2 and then when they broke through - you don't hear Simple Minds?

Saw them at the Mayfair in Newcastle in 1979. £2 for a triple bill with the Cramps and Bobby Henry.

Those were the days.
I saw them at Gateshead in 1982 although we'd mainly gone to see U2. Unfortunately, I got so drunk that I slipped a disc and my brother, who was only 16 at the time, had to get me to hospital. Me Mam wasn't best pleased with that performance and, needless to say, I remember hardly anything about it.

It was only £8 but poorly attended when I just looked it up which seems weird. Perhaps The Police were on the way down and U2 were not a big enough draw yet?

Last edited:
I didn't like Walking On The Moon or De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da but beyond that great singles. I'm possibly in a minority but I thought that some of their later singles were amongst their best work: Invisible Sun, Wrapped Around Your Finger, King Of Pain in particular.
Awful, in my book. Just showed how far up his own rectum sting had crawled by then.
First three albums were great but I think I listened to synchronicity three times before giving up on it. Just f*cking dull.

I saw them at Gateshead in 1982 although we'd mainly gone to see U2. Unfortunately, I got so drunk that I slipped a disc and my brother, who was only 16 at the time, had to get me to hospital. Me Mam wasn't best pleased with that performance and, needless to say, I remember hardly anything about it.

It was only £8 but poorly attended when I just looked it up which seems weird. Perhaps The Police were on the way down and U2 were not a big enough draw yet?
I went and had never heard of U2 at that time if that's any measure.

Back