The Open University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye maybe in the arty/farty subjects nee chance in maths or engineering.
Aye. The wife (nope) is doing English and it's only about 9 contact hours per week. She has to do loads of reading/research but she's aiming for a 1st. She could get away with next to nowt if she just wanted a low 2:2 I reckon. Loads don't bother turning up most of the time.

The aim is to graduate with a 1st

Fair play for setting your sights on a first, hope you get it. The only thing I will say though is I was full time at Uni for three years and while contact hours were quite low, the amount of reading I had to do was nuts. No way could I have done full time uni and full time work like, just not enough hours in the week.

Aye. The wife (nope) is doing English and it's only about 9 contact hours per week. She has to do loads of reading/research but she's aiming for a 1st. She could get away with next to nowt if she just wanted a low 2:2 I reckon. Loads don't bother turning up most of the time.

Pointless in my opinion. If your going to go to uni surely you want to achieve a 1st class to make it worthwhile and put yourself above the rest, just like your wife

Fair play for setting your sights on a first, hope you get it. The only thing I will say though is I was full time at Uni for three years and while contact hours were quite low, the amount of reading I had to do was nuts. No way could I have done full time uni and full time work like, just not enough hours in the week.

Isn't the pass mark for a 1st class between 60-70%?

Pointless in my opinion. If your going to go to uni surely you want to achieve a 1st class to make it worthwhile and put yourself above the rest, just like your wife

Think it's higher than that and it's weighted against what year the work is in. So 1st year is worth next to fuck all, second year a bit more, third year and dissertation really important. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but I'm not a numpty head either and I got a 2:1 with Honours. There was a lad I knew at uni who worked full time but he was a static security guard on nights so did all his reading and stuff while at work.

I did a part time MA and that was 3 years instead of 1 year full time. Part time is always longer. This was at Sunderland and we used to go to the pub for several pints afterwards and it always involved me running for the last train back to Newcastle. These days I couldn't manage the pints, never mind the run! :lol:

I was thinking about it, over 6 year. At the minute I'm thinking I won't have the time. I have a full time job and I do a bit of freelance work from time to time. I would knock the freelancing on the head, but even then my only spare time is 8-12 on a night by the time the bairn is in bed. Then there are days I play footy, or go out for a drink, or am just too knackered to be arsed. I'd have to make some big changes to get through it and I'd have very little downtime.

At a traditional university it's usually 70 percent or thereabouts. They can move up high 60s under certain circumstances at some universities. At Sunderland you can score a first if you get a 70+ in three or more modules in the final year and also average 68 or more. Weighted 0/20/80 (1st/2nd/3rd).

Generally speaking 1st is 70% plus, 60-70 is a 2.1, 50-60 2.2, 40-50 is a 3rd.
I think, OU might have a different scoring system.

Last edited:
Has anyone studied at the open uni whilst working a full time job?

I am due to start a 42hr job in 2 weeks time and want to also study a BA Open Hons in Politics & Economics at the same time however the open uni have recommended a study duration of 6 years (16-18 hours per week).

I was hoping to complete it in the standard 3 year time frame which would equate to 32-36 hours per week but understand that would be considerably tough if the study hours are accurate.

Anyway I guess the question I am asking is if anyone on here has studied with them whilst working full time, what was your experience regarding how long it took you and how difficult it was? Is it unlikely that working full time & completing a degree within 3 years is a realistic target? I imagine it would depend on the individual, their intelligence and the difficulty of the degree so I am just looking for advice really.
I tried it and failed miserably. Just couldn't get myself motivated to study in my own house and it was the last thing i wanted to do after a long shit day at work. Having bairns also sucked up a lot of my spare time, so from my point view it was a waste of mine and their time.

Different stroke for different folk ofcourse but i would have found studying in a classroom more convenient for focusing then doing at home. Either way good luck mate.

I did a Research Masters on evenings and weekends whilst working around 48 hours a week, all distance/independent learning. It took two years and was f***ing shit. Make sure whatever you're doing it in is something you love and that you have people around you with a lot of patience, those are the only reasons I got it done.

I did the equivalent of half a degree with them. Keep meaning to finish the other half and probably will next year.

To complete a degree in 3 years you'd have to study two modules at a time and I wouldn't recommend that at all.

Level 1 is quite easy, I skipped a lot of the reading and came out with good marks. It gets harder at level 2 though and obviously I haven't done anything at level 3 yet.

PM if you need any more information but it would be very difficult to complete a degree in 3 years while working full time.

I did a BA Hons while working part time and being a Mam. My third child was born in the middle of it. I wrote half an assignment while I was in labour and finished it off after I'd given birth :lol:

You need be very focused on managing your time and your diary and make sure you actually do the work and keep up. It is possible to do it but you have to be very dedicated. Only you can decide if that is something you can do.
Nice one Becs .

Nice one Becs .
When I said nice one Becs I didn't want it to sound patronising which it does and I'm sorry I replied and I'm now of back to the woods where I belong

Last edited:
Nice one Becs .

When I said nice one Becs I didn't want it to sound patronising which it does and I'm sorry I replied and I'm now of back to the woods where I belong

Aww thank you but that didn't sound patronising at all. Have a hug xx

Way less!

We had ten week terms and it was mostly

Weeks 0-7 : Do nowt

Weeks 8-10: Fuck fuck fuck do something

Could be different for the OU, but I can't remember a single week in which I did the full recommended hours except when my dissertations were due.
What mark did you end up with?

What mark did you end up with?

2:1

No doubt it's become much easier to pass with 'good' grades in recent years.

The push of more people through universities has lowered the quality of student and redefined what the average is.

Would I have got away with that fifteen, twenty years ago? Maybe not. Maybe I'm lucky. Maybe I'm just really good.

Pretty sure it's Option A.

Has anyone studied at the open uni whilst working a full time job?

I am due to start a 42hr job in 2 weeks time and want to also study a BA Open Hons in Politics & Economics at the same time however the open uni have recommended a study duration of 6 years (16-18 hours per week).

I was hoping to complete it in the standard 3 year time frame which would equate to 32-36 hours per week but understand that would be considerably tough if the study hours are accurate.

Anyway I guess the question I am asking is if anyone on here has studied with them whilst working full time, what was your experience regarding how long it took you and how difficult it was? Is it unlikely that working full time & completing a degree within 3 years is a realistic target? I imagine it would depend on the individual, their intelligence and the difficulty of the degree so I am just looking for advice really.
Did an MA via distance learning (not with the OU but another university) over two years while working full time (and some - difficult job), finished it 2016. Recommended study hours were 18 hours a week, I did about 13 and got a distinction. Be disciplined and clever with your time, e.g. if you have a public transport commute use it for studying, likewise lunch hours. Turn the internet (especially this place) off when you're studying. Sometimes the pressures on my time did my napper in but I was taken aback at how proud me and Mr P felt on my graduation day so it was worth it. Something must have gone right because I'm now applying to do another one. Loads of unis now offer distance learning, don't feel you have to go with the OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back