The Open University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone studied at the open uni whilst working a full time job?

I am due to start a 42hr job in 2 weeks time and want to also study a BA Open Hons in Politics & Economics at the same time however the open uni have recommended a study duration of 6 years (16-18 hours per week).

I was hoping to complete it in the standard 3 year time frame which would equate to 32-36 hours per week but understand that would be considerably tough if the study hours are accurate.

Anyway I guess the question I am asking is if anyone on here has studied with them whilst working full time, what was your experience regarding how long it took you and how difficult it was? Is it unlikely that working full time & completing a degree within 3 years is a realistic target? I imagine it would depend on the individual, their intelligence and the difficulty of the degree so I am just looking for advice really.

I did a BA Hons while working part time and being a Mam. My third child was born in the middle of it. I wrote half an assignment while I was in labour and finished it off after I'd given birth :lol:

You need be very focused on managing your time and your diary and make sure you actually do the work and keep up. It is possible to do it but you have to be very dedicated. Only you can decide if that is something you can do.

I did a BA Hons while working part time and being a Mam. My third child was born in the middle of it. I wrote half an assignment while I was in labour and finished it off after I'd given birth :lol:

You need be very focused on managing your time and your diary and make sure you actually do the work and keep up. It is possible to do it but you have to be very dedicated. Only you can decide if that is something you can do.

Fair play :neutral::lol:

How many years did you study over?

I am due to start a 42hr job in 2 weeks time and want to also study a BA Open Hons in Politics & Economics at the same time however the open uni have recommended a study duration of 6 years (16-18 hours per week).

I was hoping to complete it in the standard 3 year time frame which would equate to 32-36 hours per week but understand that would be considerably tough if the study hours are accurate.

Anyway I guess the question I am asking is if anyone on here has studied with them whilst working full time, what was your experience regarding how long it took you and how difficult it was? Is it unlikely that working full time & completing a degree within 3 years is a realistic target? I imagine it would depend on the individual, their intelligence and the difficulty of the degree so I am just looking for advice really.
What's the job?

Lucky the job I am starting is in a call centre then ;):cool:
Good luck

Have you any other qualifications that could count towards your degree and give you less credits to achieve.I had an HNC and managed to avoid one of the foundation courses with it.Still took 5yrs though.Working full time with a family there is no way I could have done it in 3yrs, but maybe you find studying easier than me.Balancing all aspects of life you have to be really dedicated or divorced.;)

Have you any other qualifications that could count towards your degree and give you less credits to achieve.I had an HNC and managed to avoid one of the foundation courses with it.Still took 5yrs though.Working full time with a family there is no way I could have done it in 3yrs, but maybe you find studying easier than me.Balancing all aspects of life you have to be really dedicated or divorced.;)

Nope, only other qualifications I have are in mech engineering / electrical installation at NVQ levels.

Still a big achievement completing it with a family though marra.

Nee time to talk and flirt with the fanny mind when you are glued to the phone.;)

Best of luck btw.:)

I'll make time :lol:

Cheers

Did a degree OU and then an MBA through distance learning at Middleborough business school - had two small kids at the time so picked my books up at 10 - 2am each day - now addicted to chocolate and coffee. Was chuffed to bits when finished it all - however I've had no benefit out of either so lots of expense and time down the pan. So make sure you know what you want to get out of it in the end.

Contact hours at a uni would be about 10, give or take? They always recommend a load of self study. You could do nowt and still get a Desmond though probably.

Aye maybe in the arty/farty subjects nee chance in maths or engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back