The Open 2019

Reckon he's put himself under too much pressure - he's spoke about how it's his dream to play here, it's the focus of his year etc..... I wonder if he's just been too shot through with adrenaline and similar, and completely fucked it.

I backed him, which now looks pretty stupid, but knew there was a risk the pressure would kill him. Thought he might contain it but guess not. Feel a bit sorry for him, reckon he's having a horrible time out there on what should be one of the greatest days of his career.

He's been saying the opposite all week in the interviews mind.

He's been saying the opposite all week in the interviews mind.

Well, yeah, I suspect he's tried playing it down but I'm sure he's said earlier this year that this was the most important tournament of his life. That if he could pick any to win, it would be this above The Masters (for his Grand Slam).

Feel heartily sorry for him mind, imagine he'll be gutted.

Well, yeah, I suspect he's tried playing it down but I'm sure he's said earlier this year that this was the most important tournament of his life. That if he could pick any to win, it would be this above The Masters (for his Grand Slam).

Being interviewed right now. Saying he thinks other people wanted it more for him, than he did.

Not saying you're wrong mind, he may well have switched to a tactic of downplaying the significance (I have only really been paying attention to it in the last few weeks). From the coverage I've seen, I've felt that it was a narrative that the media were trying to push more than he was. He mentioned earlier this week that Portrush means more to G-Mac than him.

Being interviewed right now. Saying he thinks other people wanted it more for him, than he did.

Not saying you're wrong mind, he may well have switched to a tactic of downplaying the significance (I have only really been paying attention to it in the last few weeks). From the coverage I've seen, I've felt that it was a narrative that the media were trying to push more than he was. He mentioned earlier this week that Portrush means more to G-Mac than him.

Fair enough, he's definitely said earlier in the year words along the lines that this was the big part of his year, he'd choose winning here other completing the Grand Slam and that it was his dream. I think he's tried to play it down to himself. I cannot find the quotes because whenever i google it brings up about a billion articles from the last day.

Is this the last major of the year? if it is they should put it back to the way it was before, so the last one is played in August. There must be some big money tournaments coming up over the next couple of months for players to earn fedex points.

Willet

Last edited:

Yeah its really disappointing but a major tournament was never won at the very first hole. He was reckless really

Fair enough, he's definitely said earlier in the year words along the lines that this was the big part of his year, he'd choose winning here other completing the Grand Slam and that it was his dream. I think he's tried to play it down to himself. I cannot find the quotes because whenever i google it brings up about a billion articles from the last day.

You're right mate, he definitely said that earlier in the year. It was prior to the Masters when the annual build up of his grand slam was going on.

He's not really. Puts on a "Mr Nice Guy" mask for 95% of the time but it slips 5% of the time and shows him up to be a petulant child.
He shows his passion for the game, especially when things go wrong, but I don't see any petulance. The way he handled himself at Augusta in 2016 was an example of it, clearly devastated but just got on with it professionally.

How was it reckless?? It was just a terrible drive, he was nervous and played it badly.

Not like he played the driver when everyone else was using a three wood

Yeah fair enough...reckless not the right word

Hitting an iron off the tee couldn't be described as reckless, missing an 18 inch putt as he did later in the round was reckless due to him losing his head.

yeah you are right on both counts

Last edited:

Back