The one gig you could have been at but weren't (had to have actually been able to attend)

Was that the opening night of the arena?
Morrissey was supporting but pulled out (surprise!) So they struggled to shift tickets, got offered free ones but wasn't arsed.
Never saw Bowie, wish I had.
I saw him at Wembley Arena, Morrisey was on first ... and shite.

Aretha Franklin, the Kennedy Center, Washington DC, July 1989. Could have got tickets easily, was on a few nights, and I lived walking distance to the venue. Kept on putting it off, so much so even on the day of the gigs. "We'll go tomorrow..." Pure laziness.

The lad across the road had a spare but I declined and did my O Level Maths homework instead reasoning that Joy Division no doubt would be touring again in the summer.:cry:

Had a ticket for REM at City Hall in May 89. I sold my ticket to a lad at work and elected to watch the Liverpool v Arsenal decider on ITV....mind you I enjoyed that immensely.:lol:
That was my JD reasoning as well.
REM were playing Hyde Park the same night as that cancelled Eastwood n Winehouse gig on the day of the tube bombings. I weighed up both gigs and knocked REM back as I’d seen 4 times already and Winehouses debut album showed a lot of promise and I loved Clints lads current album. He’s done nowt better since imho.

The Libertines in Newcastle to a tiny crowd of about 30 people circa 2004. I had flu and couldn't get out of bed.

Queued up through the night for Radio One's Big Weekend tickets to see the Foo Fighters in Penshaw. Had glandular fever on the weekend of the festival.

When we were still at school, could have gone to Thin Lizzy gig at the City Hall in 83. But also wanted to go to another, cant recall which to be honest, but could have been Saxon, and mam would only agree to one or the other.

Decided on Saxon, and we'd just see Lizzy when they reformed, on the next tour.........

Had a ticket for Ronnie James Dio show in 2005, at Newcastle Uni. Was having "relationship issues" at the time and forgot about gig.

Last edited:
The one that sticks in my mind was Guns'n'Roses supported by Faith No More and Soundgarden at Gateshead Stadium, June 16th 1992.

It was the Use Your Illusion tour, when they were at their absolute peak, Faith No More eight days after the release of Angel Dust, their absolute peak, and Soundgarden post- Badmotorfinger when they were just about to reach theirs.

I had an exam that day.

Absolutely gutted.
I went to that it was class like, I was 22 and absolutely hammered.

REM, on the Green tour, at De Montfort Hall. It was the last tour of normal venues before they became The Biggest Band In The World and only played stadiums, and I don't do stadium gigs cos they're shit. I had a ticket, but had to go up to Sunderland to attend a funeral instead.

The Devon and Cornwall music festival, I was really looking forward to it but it got cancelled at the last moment. The organisers couldn't decide who went on first, The Jam or Cream!

James farewell tour at the arena. Finished work at 12 and went straight on the lash. I remember ridiculously cheap vodka shots at one point. Got into the arena no bother, went for a piss just before KO.. as I came back in there were some empty seats at the back so I sat down for a minute.
Bouncer woke me up a good while later and took me out and into a taxi. Fortunately they released a DVD of the tour and reformed. All @Biffo The Bear fault but got my own back a few years later

we were at the bulldog bash which is a huge motorbike rally ran by the hells angels in stratford upon avon.
new model army were playing. popped my best clogs on and wandered down to the big tent to watch them only to find out they'd changed the order of the bands and they'd played earlier. this was about 20 years ago and i'm still gutted to this day even though i've seen them god knows how many times.

James farewell tour at the arena. Finished work at 12 and went straight on the lash. I remember ridiculously cheap vodka shots at one point. Got into the arena no bother, went for a piss just before KO.. as I came back in there were some empty seats at the back so I sat down for a minute.
Bouncer woke me up a good while later and took me out and into a taxi. Fortunately they released a DVD of the tour and reformed. All @Biffo The Bear fault but got my own back a few years later
Bloody Inferno's in Revolution was the beginning of the end sir. I see to recall a verbal altercation in The Courtyard (I think) when the barman may have suggested we were a little worse for wear. Joppa reminds of this whenever I see him!

Live Aid, was living in Bracknell and several mates got tickets and went, I came home for weekend, what a knob!!
Not a gig but had the chance to go to Bruno V Tyson in the US, why the fook did I not go.

The Pogues at the Paradise Club in Preston on St Patricks day 1985. Very small venue with hardly anyone there. My mates went, I went to a St Patricks night do with my gf instead. We saw them at Glastonbury the next year by which time they were massive

Back