The old club crest

Is it still under copyright? I noticed that the Jacksons has it on the pub sign.

Obviously, the club gets kudos for being associated with such a fine establishment so it might turn a blind eye.

Given that the club still sell stuff with the old badge (and the badge before that) I'd be fairly confident that it's an image that belongs to the club that needs permission from them to use.

Is it still under copyright? I noticed that the Jacksons has it on the pub sign.

Obviously, the club gets kudos for being associated with such a fine establishment so it might turn a blind eye.

I can’t imagine such a fine establishment such as the jacksons and its clientele would ever even consider breaking any type of laws or even rules

I haven’t been over that way for a while, are they using the crest as their own or just as an addition to the name?

I imagine there are pubs up and down the country who affiliate themselves with the local club in a similar manner.

From the club’s perspective, it’s not like the Jacksons are competing in any tangible way and trying to pass themselves off as the club, it’s more a sign of allegiance?

I haven’t been over that way for a while, are they using the crest as their own or just as an addition to the name?

I imagine there are pubs up and down the country who affiliate themselves with the local club in a similar manner.

From the club’s perspective, it’s not like the Jacksons are competing in any tangible way and trying to pass themselves off as the club, it’s more a sign of allegiance?
Indeed but remember when the club threatened legal action against the pubs literally just up the road because they had (SAFC store bought) flags in the windows?

Bit of a bellend's trick from the club. They should be celebrating the fact that places want to advertise their brand and, as you say, they aren't in competition.

Not grassing them mate. The captains of industry drink in the Jacksons; cross those people and you'd struggle to find work ever again.

I'm just curious to know what the deal is re: copyright (truth be known, I'm thinking of "doing a Prince" and changing my name to a graphic).
It's not the 1800's

Wasn't part of the reason for changing the badge in the first place so that the club would have a copyrighted image they could protect?

I got into this with a poster on another recent thread, I can't find anything about a change from the ship badge to the current crest being due to copyright problems.

I did however find this, transcribed from a 1972 article about changing TO the ship badge from the previous crest: Views divided on Sunderland AFC’s new badge

This would make more sense as the top of the old cat-on-ball crest was taken directly from the town coat of arms.

Back