The Okinawan Ratio

Not the first time I've heard this. I just don't know that I can do sweet potatoes - those aren't even real potatoes, imposter fuckers!

A high-carb diet may explain why Okinawans live so long
Apparently we eat way too much protein, the Okinawans eat a 10:1 carbs/ protein ration and live for f***ing ages
Fuck that though, I love meat, burgers and bacon
I admit I haven't read the link yet but surely it's got more to do with genetics and not being lazy, pastry inhaling, fatty meat magnets?

After reading the link summat occured to me. Could the reason that a vegetable heavy diet with little meat is more healthy for humans be due to the reduced exposure to intensive animal husbandry methods and the subsequent cross contamination due to close quarter rearing of the farmed animals? The fish orientated diet (therefore wild) could support this.
Aw man, seriously. @Frijj is f***ing banned?
@Charmless Man, you'll have to step in.

Last edited:
I admit I haven't read the link yet but surely it's got more to do with genetics and not being lazy, pastry inhaling, fatty meat magnets?

After reading the link summat occured to me. Could the reason that a vegetable heavy diet with little meat is more healthy for humans be due to the reduced exposure to intensive animal husbandry methods and the subsequent cross contamination due to close quarter rearing of the farmed animals? The fish orientated diet (therefore wild) could support this.
Aw man, seriously. @Frijj is f***ing banned?
@Charmless Man, you'll have to step in.
Could be. Could also be due to the fact we alter the chemistry of meat when we cook it, and create harmful substances- carcinogens, free radicals and the like. Meat can be eaten well- done, even charred or almost burnt, giving much more of this badness

There is a small Town in northern Italy Limone on Lake Garda where there is a similar record of longevity , this was for years put down to the local diet .Researchers have however found that it is more likely due to a faulty gene that restricts cholesterol in the blood stream. Hopefully something similar in Okinawa,think I would rather die a bit younger than to have to eat raw fish until I am a hundred

A high-carb diet may explain why Okinawans live so long
Apparently we eat way too much protein, the Okinawans eat a 10:1 carbs/ protein ration and live for f***ing ages
Fuck that though, I love meat, burgers and bacon

There is apparently a statistical link between countries where the staple diet is based around beans and legumes with low meat consumption and longevity of life. That seems to fit in with this weeks research that a high fibre diet massively reduces issues like heart disease and many other chronic killer diseases such as cancer.

Most people not eating enough fibre to prevent cancer and heart disease, study suggests

Eat it uncooked? No thanks.

Wouldnt be eating fish off the coast of Japan or probably anywhere else with that nuclear reactor still pouring into the sea :lol:

Surely the aim is for quality of life rather than longevity?

Ideally you’d attain a balance of fun while avoiding painful life changing diseases.

I think the point is that their diet means that they retain that quality of health/life much longer....Another factor that applies in Okinawa and has been proven in many studoies on animals and people is that they eat 10% few calories than the recommended amount......Calorie restriction has consistently shown to lengthen the life of animals in studies and seems to be the same in people.

Last edited:
There is a small Town in northern Italy Limone on Lake Garda where there is a similar record of longevity , this was for years put down to the local diet .Researchers have however found that it is more likely due to a faulty gene that restricts cholesterol in the blood stream. Hopefully something similar in Okinawa,think I would rather die a bit younger than to have to eat raw fish until I am a hundred

Udinese model iirc

Back