The Office (USA)

Loved the US Office when I watched it about 5 years ago. Absolutely loved it. I watched it all over again in the last few months and it certainly wasn't as good the 2nd time around.

I'd probably feel the same if I watched the UK one again, though.

The UK one was class. One of my favourite ever comedies.

Tried the US one a few years ago and didn’t get into it cos I liked the UK one too much.

However, last year I went back to the US one with the mentality that it’s a different show and loved it. Flew through the lot in a few months and thought it was genuinely hilarious.

IMHO if you approach the US one accepting it for what it is and don’t watch it thinking ‘oh it’s a crap American version of the orginial’ most people will enjoy it.

UK office was....and still is.... a great series

But the US version was overall better imo. The writing and depth of characters was much better.

However, once Steve Carell left, it was a car crash - never recovered and should have just ended then

His last series was the perfect ending, absolutely no need to carry on without him other than greed really.

First series of the American one is average and series 8 and 9 are a parody of earlier series and their characters but it does end well

The British one runs for the right amount of time every episode has a memorable moment but the Americans were always going to do it to excess

His last series was the perfect ending, absolutely no need to carry on without him other than greed really.
The characters they brought in as manager afterwards were dreadful like. Will ferrell, Robert California and the annoying English lass who’s name I forget. You always felt like you were rooting for michael scott even though he was an idiot whereas the ones that followed were unlikeable and in turn unfunny.

Just watched the entire box set over the last month. It’s better than when I first saw it as you can related to the characters more. You realise that Michael is actually a mint boss, Dwight came good in the end, Robert California was funny (thought he was hideous first time round).
Kelly and Ryan still got on my tits like, as did Kevin and Angela.
Think they could’ve used Michael more in the last episode.

All about opinions but it’s probably the best sitcom I’ve watched.
The characters they brought in as manager afterwards were dreadful like. Will ferrell, Robert California and the annoying English lass who’s name I forget. You always felt like you were rooting for michael scott even though he was an idiot whereas the ones that followed were unlikeable and in turn unfunny.
Whilst I agree, I though RC was canny funny second time round. You mean Catherine Tate for the English lads (I agree). Will Ferrell was dreadful. They should’ve just lived Jim or Dwight up straight away.
Michael Scott was class though.

Last edited:
Im torn over which one I prefer.

I think the UK one works really well being just two series. Didn’t try and milk it too much and focus was just on a few characters. Rewatched it recently and it’s still as funny as it was back then.

US one works really well as the characters are better written and it has more depth. Probably prefer US one if had to choose but it’s close

I'd stop at series 7. It loses its way an awful lot in 8 and most of 9.

I think the problem was their endgame for the show was always going to be Dwight in charge of the office like Gareth in the British one but as long as they kept getting renewed they didn't want to do that so they kept having to come up with stupid scenarios for other people to get the role

Just watched the entire box set over the last month. It’s better than when I first saw it as you can related to the characters more. You realise that Michael is actually a mint boss, Dwight came good in the end, Robert California was funny (thought he was hideous first time round).
Kelly and Ryan still got on my tits like, as did Kevin and Angela.
Think they could’ve used Michael more in the last episode.

All about opinions but it’s probably the best sitcom I’ve watched.

Whilst I agree, I though RC was canny funny second time round. You mean Catherine Tate for the English lads (I agree). Will Ferrell was dreadful. They should’ve just lived Jim or Dwight up straight away.
Michael Scott was class though.
Robert California (or is that Bob Kazamakis!?) is one of my favourite characters in the whole thing, a briliantly detailed enigma of a character, in it for just long enough.

"Ugh, why'd they add coconut? I miss original"

"

Back