The number 10/playmaker we need

Surely the obvious answer has to be McGeady....Far and away the best player in the division, quick feet, phenomenal striker of a ball and the footballing brain to bring others into the game and split defences.

We have other wingers (clearly not as good as he is) but a real threat/playmaker at number 10 to compliment the wingers we have would strengthen the team overall imho.

The issue we have is he's most dangerous 1 v 1 against a fullback as he'll beat them the vast majority of the time then he's in a position to get a shot away.

Playing at 10, there's more chance another defender/midfielder can drop in and help the defence which is IMO why he's proved to be less useful coming on in that position.

Surely the obvious answer has to be McGeady....Far and away the best player in the division, quick feet, phenomenal striker of a ball and the footballing brain to bring others into the game and split defences.

We have other wingers (clearly not as good as he is) but a real threat/playmaker at number 10 to compliment the wingers we have would strengthen the team overall imho.
Thanks for that, have you tried contacting Mr J.Ross with this gem of information?

I don't think he gets the space he does when out wide therefore my worry would be his little tricks/feints etc aren't as successful as he is in effect crowded out by the sheer weight of numbers in the middle of the pitch.

Personally I don't think he would be as effective but would be delighted to be proved wrong

If we stick with 3-4-2-1 we won’t have out and our wingers which means we’ve got McGeady, McNulty, Embleton and Maguire who can play there, plus Power who has played there for Wigan in the past. Unless we revert back to 4-2-3-1 we probably don’t need one unless we get rid of somebody else.

Nope.....It should be Maguire! He has everything but pace and is wasted on the wing, expected to beat defenders with pace, another Ross boo boo.

Last edited:
I’d rather play players in their best positions especially McGeady. If we need a good playmaker to play in the number 10 then we should sign someone good enough for the role rather than just moving someone out of position. The random change to 3-5-2 this season was so surprising to me as it doesn’t allow McGeady to play in his best position and we don’t have any genuine wing backs at the club.

thats what embleton was given a new contract to be..though maguire could potentially also do it..
I’d rather play players in their best positions especially McGeady. If we need a good playmaker to play in the number 10 then we should sign someone good enough for the role rather than just moving someone out of position. The random change to 3-5-2 this season was so surprising to me as it doesn’t allow McGeady to play in his best position and we don’t have any genuine wing backs at the club.
we signed mcnulty for that role and have embleton as well..

plus maguire at a push..

Last edited:
I'm not sure League 1 has any CAMs .Any player who can reliably hold the ball, pass the ball, run with the ball or shoot is playing at a higher level than League 1. Ross has to come up with a system that works with journeymen.

Hes saying play our most creative player inside where he thinks he can do more damage, not stick him in goal.

He’s played most of his career wide and does his best work cutting in from wide.

Anytime he’s played in the centre for us he’s been pretty ineffective.

If you listened to some on here, Embleton was the answer to this. Honeyman was shite etc.

I've seen a few who have also made up their mind after one game he's now not the answer and we need to try something different.

Back