The number 10/playmaker we need

He doesn't create a lot of chances for other players, his problem has always been playing quick early passes but he refers to wait until all the defenders are back. Gooch had more assists last season. Yes, he's our best attacker but he'll always be more if a goal threat than a creator and we need someone who will create

We need a player who did the job for us Kieron Richardson did a few years ago

Creative, with guile, dexterity and a wand of a left foot.

Unfortunately players of that quality code £125m nowadays

He’s at his strongest out wide, completely wasted in the middle.

Yes and wide left not wide right, where for some baffling reason Ross started to play him towards the end of last season.

Maybe it was a case of 'the opposition won't be expecting him to play there' - yes there is a very good reason for that, he isn't as effective.

Last edited:
The issue we have is he's most dangerous 1 v 1 against a fullback as he'll beat them the vast majority of the time then he's in a position to get a shot away.

Playing at 10, there's more chance another defender/midfielder can drop in and help the defence which is IMO why he's proved to be less useful coming on in that position.

Aye this.

Yes and wide left not wide right, where for some baffling reason Ross started to play him towards the end of last season.

Maybe it was a case of 'the opposition won't be expecting him to play there' - yes there is a very good reason for that, he isn't as effective.

This. For me this was most strange on a couple of occasions when Ross played Gooch left, and McGeady right, as Gooch is also much better right side Imo. If they want to swap over for 10 mins just to try something else, and give the opposition something different to cope with, that's ok. But keep their main position on their strongest sides.

I also think that Aidan defends better when he's wide. It's not the main or best part of his game obviously, but he offers better cover to a LB.

It's fairly common knowledge now that McNulty is going to be that number 10. No problem with that me, he's been a breath of fresh air. Two assists and a goal in three games. Long may he keep it up.

If we can't afford maddison go for the Bolton turk, better to have too many creative players than too few as we found out last season.

It’s incredible when discussing this topic how little mention Embleton gets.

He had one game in a misfiring formation and the majority of the board seems to have written him off.

I don’t understand why people can’t see his huge potential and realise that we’ve reached the point where we should either use it or loose it.

Back