The number 10/playmaker we need

I'd worry he ends up with his back to goal which would be useless OR giving the ball away centrally by being physically weak. I'd prefer someone with raw pace up front even if it's the inexperience of Kimpioka, because we're too easy to defend against without it. Its fine to let him roam a bit of course and interchange places and swap sides to be less predictable but it's like Moyes playing Januzaj how he did - players who love running at defenders holding the ball up and passing the ball backwards are a waste .

thats what embleton was given a new contract to be..though maguire could potentially also do it..

we signed mcnulty for that role and have embleton as well..

plus maguire at a push..
Thought mcnulty was a striker, I think embleton should be given a chance in that role for now. I actually thought maguire supported the striker well last season when he played in the 10

He’s a winger. He’s always been a winger. Best when he can come inside with someone overlapping

Thought mcnulty was a striker, I think embleton should be given a chance in that role for now. I actually thought maguire supported the striker well last season when he played in the 10
mcnulty i think has said he will be playing behind the striker..

but if we play two players behind the striker that would be he and embleton..

I don't think he gets the space he does when out wide therefore my worry would be his little tricks/feints etc aren't as successful as he is in effect crowded out by the sheer weight of numbers in the middle of the pitch.

Personally I don't think he would be as effective but would be delighted to be proved wrong
Agreed. He'd lose the ball too often in dangerous places.

Formations and numbers don’t matter at this level. Pick the 11 best players in their natural positions as long as there isn’t a massive imbalance.

You basically have 6 players trying to stop the oppo from scoring and 5 who are there to create and score goals.

Obviously when a team has more talented players then it’s more blurred.

Organise the team for marking, set pieces and typical game conditions.

Apart from mcgeady and McLaughlin the macGoalie there could be loads of permutations.

Three pronged with Mcgeady left and Embleton right with Mcnullty speer head.

Only because McGeady wasn't in the team last week, I expect to see a different formation when he is.
I hope he changes the formation because I don't think that it works. Re your point I genuinely and unfortunately don't think that Ross has spent all Summer and the first match of this season working on and playing a formation that he only plans on using when McGeady is out.

He's more useless that I give him credit for if that is the case.

Last edited:
Problem is that Ross at the moment has decided to play a formation that doesn't have any wingers whatsoever. An attacking midfielder/number 10 is the only fit for McGeady in our current formation. Hopefully Ross will see sense and ditch the formation.

Depends. He played a 3-4-3 aswell as a 3-4-1-2

Ross' current formation takes McGeady away from it.
Another reason the formation is a complete joke.
Surely if this formation/system is working properly then McGeady will be a winger when we are attacking down that side, with the other player tucked in as the number 10 and vice versa? In which case it should work.

Whether that’s how we end up using the system is another matter.

Surely if this formation/system is working properly then McGeady will be a winger when we are attacking down that side, with the other player tucked in as the number 10 and vice versa? In which case it should work
Whether that’s how we end up using the system is another matter.

There’s no wingers in the current setup, though.

Ross' current formation takes McGeady away from it.
McGeady has hardly played in the “current “ formation
Problem is that Ross at the moment has decided to play a formation that doesn't have any wingers whatsoever. An attacking midfielder/number 10 is the only fit for McGeady in our current formation. Hopefully Ross will see sense and ditch the formation.
Probably when McGeady is playing

Last edited:

Back