The Niall Quinn appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks Niall for all you have done for SAFC and the city I really hope the South stand can be renamed after Quinny or at least a statue built. You are one living legend.

turned from someone who was booed, to someone, who is a living legend

all the best

Had the great pleasure of meeting Niall on a number of occasions over the years of his involvement with SAFC.

I would like to share what happened the first time I met him in person. It was in the summer after our league winning promotion season.
I was best man and on a stag do in dublin. On the Sunday, 18 of us travelled by train to The Curragh. As we entered the track the great man was in the pre-parade ring patting a young horse. Me and a couple of others went across and started chatting to him about the season and about the horse he was with (an unraced 2 year old he told us).

After about ten minutes, (not wanting to outstay the great welcome he had given us "Sunderland lads, always great to see Sunderland lads here" was the first thing he had said to us) I said "have a great day Niall, best of luck with your runner and with next season. If you fancy a pint we will be up in the bar opposite the finishing line, at the top of the escalator".

"I might just do that" he replied, politely and waved us off.

We had assumed he was just being nice but at around 4pm that day a very tall figure appeared at the door of the bar, he was clearly looking for someone.
It was Niall and he was looking for us. He saw us came across and bought us ALL a pint of guinness. He drank that with us, then another (my round!), wished us all the best, shook hands with every one of us and headed out.

LEGEND!

so sad to see the big lad go :-( we should be at LEAST be naming a stand after him for what he has done for our club.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Had the great pleasure of meeting Niall on a number of occasions over the years of his involvement with SAFC.

I would like to share what happened the first time I met him in person. It was in the summer after our league winning promotion season.
I was best man and on a stag do in dublin. On the Sunday, 18 of us travelled by train to The Curragh. As we entered the track the great man was in the pre-parade ring patting a young horse. Me and a couple of others went across and started chatting to him about the season and about the horse he was with (an unraced 2 year old he told us).

After about ten minutes, (not wanting to outstay the great welcome he had given us "Sunderland lads, always great to see Sunderland lads here" was the first thing he had said to us) I said "have a great day Niall, best of luck with your runner and with next season. If you fancy a pint we will be up in the bar opposite the finishing line, at the top of the escalator".

"I might just do that" he replied, politely and waved us off.

We had assumed he was just being nice but at around 4pm that day a very tall figure appeared at the door of the bar, he was clearly looking for someone.
It was Niall and he was looking for us. He saw us came across and bought us ALL a pint of guinness. He drank that with us, then another (my round!), wished us all the best, shook hands with every one of us and headed out.

LEGEND!

:cool: love these stories about Quinny, what a top bloke he is

:cool: love these stories about Quinny, what a top bloke he is
The one Im about to post is along similar lines. I was Nialls guest (part of the old Echo player of the month award) at the SOL during his playing days. As it turned out Niall was working for Sky as he had to miss the match v Leeds through injury. He came up to me about ten minutes before ko and said I'm sorry I have spent so little time with you but I have been busy with Sky and then said what are you doing after the match to which I said I would probably be going for some pints with my brother. Nialls response was I will meet you in Dirty Nellys pub which was where the Mowbray Pk Hotel used to be.
So we met up with Niall as arranged and he got us as a pint of Guinness each and we had some great footy craic with him. As the night wore on there were loads of people arriving as part of Nialls company such as friends and relatives over from Ireland. Niall kept taking time out to speak to us and made sure everytime our glasses were half full new pints would arrive courtesy of the big man. Quinny had to go eventually and he made a big point of saying goodbye to us. We ordered another pint each and the barman said I've got specific instuctions from Mr Quinn that any further pints we were going to have in there that night were to go on his tab.
Just typical of the man a true legend in every sense of the word.

The one Im about to post is along similar lines. I was Nialls guest (part of the old Echo player of the month award) at the SOL during his playing days. As it turned out Niall was working for Sky as he had to miss the match v Leeds through injury. He came up to me about ten minutes before ko and said I'm sorry I have spent so little time with you but I have been busy with Sky and then said what are you doing after the match to which I said I would probably be going for some pints with my brother. Nialls response was I will meet you in Dirty Nellys pub which was where the Mowbray Pk Hotel used to be.
So we met up with Niall as arranged and he got us as a pint of Guinness each and we had some great footy craic with him. As the night wore on there were loads of people arriving as part of Nialls company such as friends and relatives over from Ireland. Niall kept taking time out to speak to us and made sure everytime our glasses were half full new pints would arrive courtesy of the big man. Quinny had to go eventually and he made a big point of saying goodbye to us. We ordered another pint each and the barman said I've got specific instuctions from Mr Quinn that any further pints we were going to have in there that night were to go on his tab.
Just typical of the man a true legend in every sense of the word.

Brilliant mate, just brilliant!

A Tranmere Rovers player of my acquaintance always name-checked Quinny as the most polite, genuinely nice, opponent he had ever faced.

Quinny really got me back in love with Sunderland after that 05/06 season. He saved the club and it's largely down to him where we are now.
Love the bloke, me.

Cheers for everything, Sir!

As a young lad (21) i can't really remember Niall Quinn as a player. I wish i could. I have vivid memories of the outstanding things that the big man done as a player; i.e goals at newcastle and going in goal etc. Obviously THAT quote sticks in my mind aswell:

"I learned my trade at Arsenal, became a footballer at Manchester City but Sunderland got under my skin. I love Sunderland".

I remember lying in bed when the news broke that Big Niall had put together some sort of consortium and was on his way to Sunderland to finalise talks. Utter jubilation. He didn't have too, he didn't have to step in, he didn't have to put himself through all the stress and heartache that he has recently. But he did, and for this i will NEVER EVER forget Niall Quinn, the man is a Hero. Inspiration. Icon. Legend.

I've only had the pleasure of meeting him once, very, very briefly. I was on my way out of the SAFC Foundation office with one of the other. The big man walked past and said 'By, do you have to be 7 foot to work here?!'. Charisma and humour in a passing comment to low level employee's, that he's unaware probably made my day. He could have easily passed me by at that time like many other chairman probably would have, but he didn't.

Thank you Sir Niall Quinn, and good luck in everything you do. You will always be welcome back here. Very sad to see you leave.

As a young lad (21) i can't really remember Niall Quinn as a player. I wish i could. I have vivid memories of the outstanding things that the big man done as a player; i.e goals at newcastle and going in goal etc. Obviously THAT quote sticks in my mind aswell:

"I learned my trade at Arsenal, became a footballer at Manchester City but Sunderland got under my skin. I love Sunderland".

I remember lying in bed when the news broke that Big Niall had put together some sort of consortium and was on his way to Sunderland to finalise talks. Utter jubilation. He didn't have too, he didn't have to step in, he didn't have to put himself through all the stress and heartache that he has recently. But he did, and for this i will NEVER EVER forget Niall Quinn, the man is a Hero. Inspiration. Icon. Legend.

I've only had the pleasure of meeting him once, very, very briefly. I was on my way out of the SAFC Foundation office with one of the other. The big man walked past and said 'By, do you have to be 7 foot to work here?!'. Charisma and humour in a passing comment to low level employee's, that he's unaware probably made my day. He could have easily passed me by at that time like many other chairman probably would have, but he didn't.

Thank you Sir Niall Quinn, and good luck in everything you do. You will always be welcome back here. Very sad to see you leave.
Why would any Irishman want to be called sir !

top bloke should have a stand named after him at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back