The need to isolate.

Wish you could just trust idiots to stay away from work and the like if they aren’t well. It’s the same with flu and the shits and things - they mightn’t be life threatening but it doesn’t mean that everyone in the office place wants to catch it and therefore you should just be staying home if you think you’re contagious (with anything not just covid) and working from home for a few days until it passes. The amount of working time we lose as a country to idiots passing around the same viruses in the workplace knowingly must be shocking

Wish you could just trust idiots to stay away from work and the like if they aren’t well. It’s the same with flu and the shits and things - they mightn’t be life threatening but it doesn’t mean that everyone in the office place wants to catch it and therefore you should just be staying home if you think you’re contagious (with anything not just covid) and working from home for a few days until it passes. The amount of working time we lose as a country to idiots passing around the same viruses in the workplace knowingly must be shocking
To be fair, before WFH became a wide(r)spread thing than it is now, a lot of companies would put people under a lot of pressure to return to work even if they were feeling ill.

Not saying that it's right, just that it happened.

In my own experience, following a knee replacement, I was contacted by my company's OH people six week after my op and after a short telephone consultation was told that in their opinion I was fit to return to work.

I politely informed that I would return when signed-off by the consultant surgeon as I had no desire to try to explain to my car insurance company if I had an accident why I was driving when obviously not fit to do so after signing myself off the sick early.

I was officially signed-off by the hospital 6 weeks later.

To be fair, before WFH became a wide(r)spread thing than it is now, a lot of companies would put people under a lot of pressure to return to work even if they were feeling ill.

Not saying that it's right, just that it happened.

In my own experience, following a knee replacement, I was contacted by my company's OH people six week after my op and after a short telephone consultation was told that in their opinion I was fit to return to work.

I politely informed that I would return when signed-off by the consultant surgeon as I had no desire to try to explain to my car insurance company if I had an accident why I was driving when obviously not fit to do so after signing myself off the sick early.

I was officially signed-off by the hospital 6 weeks later.
Of course the exact same comment could be directed at employers too. It’s a double sided coin - guess I’m fortunate enough to work for a very flexible empoyer in that respect

Maybe if there was better sick pay ? then you'd get people moaning about "taking the piss"

What's the current situation regarding someone in household that tests positive? Would I still have to isolate if my wife tests positive?

Never followed the news on it for ages.

What's the current situation regarding someone in household that tests positive? Would I still have to isolate if my wife tests positive?

Surely quicker to google it on the NHS site than to ask here and wait for god knows how many different answers to get posted

I was in the thread a ywsy so just thought I'd ask
If you're fully vaccinated you would need to do LFT's every day (if you wanted to go out) whilst she was positive. She would have to self isolate for the usual time but can start doing LFT's on day 5 (and if she gets 2 negatives in a row she's cool to go about her business etc as long as she doesn't have a temperature or heavy symptoms).

You're advised to LFT to ensure you aren't positive, then you're free to crack on as normal.

Our lass has it at the minute and while I'm testing negative, I'm still isolating just in case. Doesn't feel right for me to be going into the office in this situation. I'm fortunate enough to have that flexibility though.

If you're fully vaccinated you would need to do LFT's every day (if you wanted to go out) whilst she was positive. She would have to self isolate for the usual time but can start doing LFT's on day 5 (and if she gets 2 negatives in a row she's cool to go about her business etc as long as she doesn't have a temperature or heavy symptoms).

You don’t need to test yourself, it’s only advised. If you do follow the advice then it’s:

• take an LFD test every day for 7 days, or until 10 days after the household member who has COVID-19 started their self-isolation period if this is earlier
When did the guidance change about stuff other than a temperature? Below the flow chart for ending isolation early (and on the flow chart itself) it says:

If your LFD test results are negative on the 20th and 21st, and you do not have a high temperature, you may end your self-isolation period

Then it also says:

You can return to your normal routine and stop self-isolating after 10 full days if your symptoms have gone, or if the only symptoms you have are a cough or anosmia, which can last for several weeks. If you still have a high temperature after 10 days or are otherwise unwell, stay at home and seek medical advice.

You may be able to end your self-isolation period before the end of the 10 full days. You can take an LFD test from 5 days after the day your symptoms started (or the day your test was taken if you did not have symptoms), and another LFD test on the following day. If both these test results are negative, and you do not have a high temperature, you may end your self-isolation after the second negative test result.

Back