The National

Is she actually drinking the gin or stockpiling it to show off to her gin hipster mates (Ginsters?)?
A bit of both.
They've been out a fair bit leading up to Christmas and over the holidays so the lasses have been round a fair bit, "ooh try this, ooh I;ve brought this round".
Then when they go out there's half empty glasses left for me to mine sweep.
Not because I like gin - I was actually pretty minging off it years back so never touched it for ages - but I like the early stages of drunkenness and hate booze going to waste. :oops:

Edit - Ginsters :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Giving an album just one listen is a big mistake mind. Its taken an artist or band several years to come up with their music and you're judging it on one listen. Bizarre. You often find the best songs on an album come up on the rails for example whilst the more instant songs fade away. That's not forcing it. Its how I presumed most people listened to music.
I've given these a few goes now mind (I've got them on now just in case) and I cannot get away with them like.

I've given these a few goes now mind (I've got them on now just in case) and I cannot get away with them like.

Fair enough marra, I didnt think you woudl tbh, but at least you havent just listened once and binned them. I remember listening to a few singles and thinking "fucks people like these for?" then one evening I had Boxer playing, on repeat, and it just clicked. Same with Joy Division. Never got the fuss either. Now two of my favourite bands (on the flip side some of the bands I used to love have now been left on the shelf).

Im sure you have found even with a fave of yours Dylan, that some records/songs that didnt initially grab you very much have crept up on the rails and you now love?

Last edited:
Love them, but from what Ive seen of them live (mind its been on the box rather than actually there) they've disappointed (mainly because you could hardly make out a word the main was singing). I was the same with them at the start mind and then as you say, it just clicked.
I would describe it as a droning dirge with blinking lights.

Giving an album just one listen is a big mistake mind. Its taken an artist or band several years to come up with their music and you're judging it on one listen. Bizarre. You often find the best songs on an album come up on the rails for example whilst the more instant songs fade away. That's not forcing it. Its how I presumed most people listened to music.
I only get to listen to albums in the car and I'm only in the car for about 20 minutes at a time. I probably found listening to music easier when I was house sharing and there were different peoples tastes flying in. Very rarely get to listen to any new artists now. I;d posted recently about never having heard of some recent festival headliners. :neutral:
My fault, I suppose, as I could always go out of my way. Life gets in the way sometimes though.

I only get to listen to albums in the car and I'm only in the car for about 20 minutes at a time. I probably found listening to music easier when I was house sharing and there were different peoples tastes flying in. Very rarely get to listen to any new artists now. I;d posted recently about never having heard of some recent festival headliners. :neutral:
My fault, I suppose, as I could always go out of my way. Life gets in the way sometimes though.

Aye, all fair points there mind. Suppose its the way of the world. Me and missus dont bother much with TV so usually have music on tbf.

four way tie between secret meeting, conversation 16, mr november and pink rabbits imo mate

Both tremendous iirc there mate

Love them, but from what Ive seen of them live (mind its been on the box rather than actually there) they've disappointed (mainly because you could hardly make out a word the main was singing). I was the same with them at the start mind and then as you say, it just clicked.
ah you really need to be there imho, saw them in a really small venue in Dublin last year and they were superb, the energy he brings to the stage is incredible

Fair enough marra, I didnt think you woudl tbh, but at least you havent just listened once and binned them. I remember listening to a few singles and thinking "fucks people like these for?" then one evening I had Boxer playing, on repeat, and it just clicked. Same with Joy Division. Never got the fuss either. Now two of my favourite bands (on the flip side some of the bans I used to love have now been left on the shelf).

Im sure you have found even with a fave of yours Dylan, that some records/songs that didnt initially grab you very much have crept up on the rails and you now love?
Correct - but there were others that grabbed me beforehand. Despite what a few people on here seem to think, Dylan at least has a change of pace.

Which is fine. Doesnt mean those that do like them are just pretending. If you name a band you like, and I dont, are you pretending to like them or am I pretending not to like them?
I don't think you're pretending to like them. I think that they're the kind of band that people attach themselves to in order to appear cool or informed.

Fell genuinely sorry for people who dont get the National, superb band and amazing live.

Was in the "they're just dull" camp for a long time, over a year of hearing Boxer still wondering wtf people were rambling on about and then it just clicked one day.
:lol: Don't marra. Plenty more interesting fish...

I know a couple of lads who've pretended to like lasses and been in relationships with them for years and then turned out to be gay as fuck - i think if they can be so psychologically in denial it's not that much of a stretch to believe that people can convince themselves to think the Courteeners aren't absolutely hideous unlistenable shite. It's bizarre, but it does happen.
Great comparison mate. Have a like.

Back