The most Sunderland phrase you can think of?

Not even close then. :D

So fust is more just a northern pronunciation of first rather than being a word in its own right.

Fuggy I was using closely to its real meaning of stale, fusty, stale, bit misty/foggy/warm and thought "thick" ( dense)

Not sure of the quantum leap to baggsy!
'Fuggy' means 'I'm first'.

Ere man my uncles Ernie Bewick
....good lad me uncle Ernie like.

Last edited:
Git

You can say it was git big
Or hes git radged him
Or you can call someone a git

Or some people just use it randomly in sentences and it doesnt really mean anything

My Grandda always pronounced the word 'swan' as if it rhymed with 'can', not 'one'.

Always used Swan Vesta matches to light his Woodbines, all 70 per day of them (only in ten-packs, "none of them fancy twenty-packs").

I remember one of my favourite teachers at 1980s Monkwearmouth - Mr Parmley (sp? German teacher...) - who used to take the mick out of the girls for their broadest Sunderland phrases. The one that I still remember perfectly was one girl asking another if they were planning a trip to the leisure centre that weekend, with the beautifully succinct "Is us gan the leis?"

I remember one of my favourite teachers at 1980s Monkwearmouth - Mr Parmley (sp? German teacher...) - who used to take the mick out of the girls for their broadest Sunderland phrases. The one that I still remember perfectly was one girl asking another if they were planning a trip to the leisure centre that weekend, with the beautifully succinct "Is us gan the leis?"

The that no one can spell the word leis.

Back