The most Sunderland phrase you can think of?

Off piste, but has anyone other than south tynesiders ever been heard saying "Gan doon street", referring in this case to Ocean Road I think?

Owev Gavy is volling down the hill.

(Roker people use ‘v’ instead of ‘r’).

I mentioned this a while back and was scorned. There was a lad working groundsman at Whitburn Cricket Club who was from SR5 and he called the big roller the vorla.

Last edited:
"For fucks sake"
Maybe not a Sunderland phrase, but I say it a lot when I'm watching the match
I was working over in the states last year and came out with "ahh, for fucks sake". The yank guy I was working with burst out laughing and told me that was the first real English phrase he'd learned. They had an English bloke in the company and loved it when he came out with it.

Garn yem.
They can also understand that in Scandinavia (I think)

Last edited:
Off piste, but has anyone other than south tynesiders ever been heard saying "Gan doon street", referring in this case to Ocean Road I think?

I mentioned this a while back and was scorned. There was a lad working groundsman at Whitburn Cricket Club who was from SR5 and he called the big roller the vorla.

I remember that thread and totally agreed with you.

Really strange ‘soft v’ sound in place of an ‘r’.

Chester le st too or chestah as its better known

Last edited:

Back