The most influential figure that Sunderland have had since the 70s

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Quinn for me. If he’d not had the charisma to charm the Drummaville lads we’d have hit rock bottom several years earlier than we did.

Yes it all went pear shaped in the end but we had six in a row, Keano’s championship winning season, League Cup under Poyet, the greatest escape etc..

None of this would have been possible without Quinn’s intervention at our (then) lowest point.

The absolute legend that is big niall for me like. How many players have been one half of a top striking partnership, a goalkeeper, a manager, chairman, a great ambassador and a philanthropist at one club?

Here is a good debate....who has made the biggest impact on Sunderland since the 1970s ...here are a few suggestions
Bob stokoe ...twice managed the lads brought us Fa cup glory
Jimmy Montgomery...our best keeper since the world wars ...record appearance maker...
Gary Bennett...in a place that wasn't famed for its tolerance levels.in strode Gary Bennett ...not to mention a quality player and a cult hero
Bob Murray ..hated by the fans at points but brought in Reid and drove the Sol dream
Peter Reid ...we were in dire straits until Reid come along....he gave us wonderful football and united us
Niall Quinn....player manager chairman legend
Kevin Phillips ...golden boot winner and all round goal machine

Who would get your vote and have I missed anybody off....Gary Rowell perhaps??

A son of Consett, Bob Murray, red and white through and through.
He tried to redevelop Roker Park which was a non starter due to its geographical and geological problems , under the Roker End.
He tried to build the grandiose 'Wembley of the North' near the A19 near Nissan and airodrome with a modern leisure complex but had to fight objections from both Nissan and John Hall ( ex SAFC season ticket holder) who thought it would have a detrimental effect on the Metro Centre !!!
Murray and the board never gave up and acquired the land that we have today on the Monkwearmouth Colliery site.
It was his foresight and personal wealth along with European grants for former mining communities, and with other Directors and business men like John Fickling, a Hetton lad, who lifted the club to its new status. Beforehand we were restricted to 21,000 gates, with no growth potential.
Murray also instigated the Foundation of Light, one of the first in the country and which other clubs have envied and copied in later years. The Beacon of Light came from the Foundation.
By the way, not all Sunderland supporters hated Bob Murray, but its like now, people are fickle and want and expect instant success. They want owners to spend limitless amounts that they don't have.
He wasn't reckless but a shrewd and successful businessman. He once said we'll always have one seat more than them up the road. This didn't last long but he knew our support was vast and he had the foresight to allow the stadium to be easily increased in capacity from when it was first built.
Many years later the FA asked Murray to help plan their new St George's Park in Staffs as they knew that he had been heavily involved at the Stadium of Light.
Peter Reid , Quinny and Superkev arrived after Murray's vision came into being.

Has to be Bob Murray, without his vision and audacity we would be little more than a Burnley, Norwich,Sheffield Utd, etccc;)
I think you will find we are a street away from those clubs.

You can nit pick all you want. Murray had the vision and drive to get it done, I suggest those in the 60's who 'thought' about it didn't have the drive and ambition to do it.
Very true but they would have to pay for it, It cost him nothing and he made himself a fortune by putting the club on the stock market.

Last edited:
Here is a good debate....who has made the biggest impact on Sunderland since the 1970s ...here are a few suggestions
Bob stokoe ...twice managed the lads brought us Fa cup glory
Jimmy Montgomery...our best keeper since the world wars ...record appearance maker...
Gary Bennett...in a place that wasn't famed for its tolerance levels.in strode Gary Bennett ...not to mention a quality player and a cult hero
Bob Murray ..hated by the fans at points but brought in Reid and drove the Sol dream
Peter Reid ...we were in dire straits until Reid come along....he gave us wonderful football and united us
Niall Quinn....player manager chairman legend
Kevin Phillips ...golden boot winner and all round goal machine

Who would get your vote and have I missed anybody off....Gary Rowell perhaps??

Quinn for me, he bought into the area and understood the people

Very true but they would have to pay for it, It cost him nothing and he made himself a fortune by putting the club on the stock market.

Hahaha.... actually they are all prem clubs with shirt stadiums. First person to miss the irony

So what? Imagine us playing at Roker Park now.

Back