The most influential figure that Sunderland have had since the 70s

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

Him, his father and the other board members who didn't take the numerous opportunities to appoint Clough. Rentaghost writes that Clough manipulated the situation and in later years that may well have been the case. But late sixties, mid seventies there were points at which he could and would have come here if the directors hadn't dismissed him as "that dreadful man". It was our misfortune that by the time a Clough admirer was in charge, Tom Cowie, the chances to get him had all passed.
It's too painful to imagine what would have been if we'd gone for Clough in May '67 (I realise that's not the seventies) instead of sticking with the unimpressive Ian McColl.

Totally agree. I would just add possibly the biggest blunder since ' Mr Smith' 's letter was the failure to appoint Hardwick with Clough as his Number 2 in ' 64....all because the board didn't approve of Gorgeous George's horizontal jogging in his office below the Roker End....

I mn terms of influence, probably Murray?
New ground, new training facility, new badge, floated us on the stock market (still ground breaking for football clubs at the time).
If signings had been better at the time we'd might have established ourselves at the top. Murray was expecting the bubble to burst in football in terms of money, but it's never quite happened.

Love how Bob Murray has become a hero on here. He was f***ing hated for the majority of his tenure.

He wasn't like it's the classic example of a noisy minority. Murray has well respected and appreciated by the vast majority of Sunderland fans. Its only when you 'anti' something that you make your voice heard. On here for example MBH single handedly posted more 'anti Murray' posts than the entire message board put together because he hated him but it didnt mean that it was a common view.

Reid for me.

In an age where the premier League was starting to gather pace, we were light years behind the mags, he kept us up, took us up and almost took us to the next level. Obviously he brought in Quinn and Phillips and it goes without saying what those two achieved by creating their own legendary status

Here is a good debate....who has made the biggest impact on Sunderland since the 1970s ...here are a few suggestions
Bob stokoe ...twice managed the lads brought us Fa cup glory
Jimmy Montgomery...our best keeper since the world wars ...record appearance maker...
Gary Bennett...in a place that wasn't famed for its tolerance levels.in strode Gary Bennett ...not to mention a quality player and a cult hero
Bob Murray ..hated by the fans at points but brought in Reid and drove the Sol dream
Peter Reid ...we were in dire straits until Reid come along....he gave us wonderful football and united us
Niall Quinn....player manager chairman legend
Kevin Phillips ...golden boot winner and all round goal machine

Who would get your vote and have I missed anybody off....Gary Rowell perhaps??
Jack Ross

Roy Keane put us firmly back on the football map
Very much this, I recall having to explain to people who Sunderland were back in 2000 and 2001 as we languished in the chase for European places in the Premier League. Similar situation in 2004 when we managed somehow to sneak into an FA Cup semi final.

By the time Keano had taken us to the dizzy heights of 17th later that decade however everybody had heard of Sunderland AFC.

Never had a vision this move was first thought of in the 60s.
You can nit pick all you want. Murray had the vision and drive to get it done, I suggest those in the 60's who 'thought' about it didn't have the drive and ambition to do it.

Very much this, I recall having to explain to people who Sunderland were back in 2000 and 2001 as we languished in the chase for European places in the Premier League. Similar situation in 2004 when we managed somehow to sneak into an FA Cup semi final.

By the time Keano had taken us to the dizzy heights of 17th later that decade however everybody had heard of Sunderland AFC.

Innit

Back