The most influential figure that Sunderland have had since the 70s

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Surely Bob Murray, the entire infrastructure of the club and foundation is down to him. Yes the others made impacts in their time, but Murray’s legacy may last 80 years in bricks and mortar as well as in the community for those the foundation has touched.

Surely Bob Murray, the entire infrastructure of the club and foundation is down to him. Yes the others made impacts in their time, but Murray’s legacy may last 80 years in bricks and mortar as well as in the community for those the foundation has touched.

Has to be, Murray (despite his detractors) he had the vision to build not only the SoL but also the academy.

Without his legacy we'd still be in a grand old but delapted ground. Reid wouldn't have had such a great stint and would we have produced a champions league winning captain & England's #1?

Walking round the ground now it's mind blowing, the aquitics centre, the foundation and hotel!

Love how Bob Murray has become a hero on here. He was f***ing hated for the majority of his tenure.

I'm just old enough to remember the "red card" protests at Roker, but Murray's legacy will last long after him and is there for future generations. He had his failings no doubt, but I think the Short era has shown just how lucky we actually were.

Last edited:
Murray. Had the vision to get us out of Roker Park which was way past its sell by date. That moment I walked up one of the gangways of the north stand to see the SoL for the first time took my breath away. That was down to him, It kick started SAFC.
Never had a vision this move was first thought of in the 60s.

Won’t be a popular view but Murray

Leaving Roker Park was horrible at the time for me, however the first time I walked into the SOL...

The legacy he left with the stadium and academy brought us into the 21st Century.

Imagine us with an 18000 run down Roker Park. We’d probably be in the 3rd division ;)

Keith Collings....for not appointing BC.

Him, his father and the other board members who didn't take the numerous opportunities to appoint Clough. Rentaghost writes that Clough manipulated the situation and in later years that may well have been the case. But late sixties, mid seventies there were points at which he could and would have come here if the directors hadn't dismissed him as "that dreadful man". It was our misfortune that by the time a Clough admirer was in charge, Tom Cowie, the chances to get him had all passed.
It's too painful to imagine what would have been if we'd gone for Clough in May '67 (I realise that's not the seventies) instead of sticking with the unimpressive Ian McColl.

Here is a good debate....who has made the biggest impact on Sunderland since the 1970s ...here are a few suggestions
Bob stokoe ...twice managed the lads brought us Fa cup glory
Jimmy Montgomery...our best keeper since the world wars ...record appearance maker...
Gary Bennett...in a place that wasn't famed for its tolerance levels.in strode Gary Bennett ...not to mention a quality player and a cult hero
Bob Murray ..hated by the fans at points but brought in Reid and drove the Sol dream
Peter Reid ...we were in dire straits until Reid come along....he gave us wonderful football and united us
Niall Quinn....player manager chairman legend
Kevin Phillips ...golden boot winner and all round goal machine

Who would get your vote and have I missed anybody off....Gary Rowell perhaps??

"Influential" is an interesting choice of descriptor.

It's difficult to look past Quinn for his many services to the club beyond just being a player, but it depends what you mean by "influential".

"Influential to the fate of the club". Quinn.
"Influential to the careers of the other players he played with". O'Shea.
"Influential to other players on the pitch". Cattermole or Ball.
"Ability to influence the result of a match". Loads of players would fit this one. Even if we restrict it to players that were here for a number of years rather than being here for a season or two we have probably a hundred contenders.

Here is a good debate....who has made the biggest impact on Sunderland since the 1970s ...here are a few suggestions
Bob stokoe ...twice managed the lads brought us Fa cup glory
Jimmy Montgomery...our best keeper since the world wars ...record appearance maker...
Gary Bennett...in a place that wasn't famed for its tolerance levels.in strode Gary Bennett ...not to mention a quality player and a cult hero
Bob Murray ..hated by the fans at points but brought in Reid and drove the Sol dream
Peter Reid ...we were in dire straits until Reid come along....he gave us wonderful football and united us
Niall Quinn....player manager chairman legend
Kevin Phillips ...golden boot winner and all round goal machine

Who would get your vote and have I missed anybody off....Gary Rowell perhaps??

Can only be Reidy. He was the one who took us to near top of the league at the turn of the year, two 7th places finishes, and had the nous to bring in Phillips for next to nothing and Quinny, as well as all the other players he bought at bargain prices but put them together and they made a good team.

No contest really, can't see how it's up for debate.

Actually, I'm going to go for Roy Keane. The players we attracted with him in charge when we first got back to the Premier League were way above what I was expecting us to sign. Players who only came because he was the manager.

Now that's influence.

Back