The morning after.....

No not pill wifes nearly 70.Where to start with last night.Iam sure to get pelters but here goes,we all agree signings needed lb asap and others hopefully .However the football is the same turgid stuff ,dont know how long we are going to get away with it.I listened to it and had to check it wasnt barcelona we were playing ,cant see ross changing either .We are lucky if we touch the ball every 10 mins,just abdicate huge areas of the pitch and pray mcgeady will score and big jon will keep them out .I know we won so everything must be great ,well it isnt im afraid clappers.
We need a right back anarl. And our full backs being so poor is a major factor in why we look so turgid as you put it. Where's the quick runs, the overloading of one flank with quick overlapping play and competent passing of the ball - simple passes is all that are required if the play is quick enough and the space utilised. Rochdale worked this out against O'Nien last night, so why can't we?

Instead we hit it to an isolated McGeady marked by two men who he's obsessed with trying to beat every time.

We need a right back anarl. And our full backs being so poor is a major factor in why we look so turgid as you put it. Where's the quick runs, the overloading of one flank with quick overlapping play and competent passing of the ball - simple passes is all that are required if the play is quick enough and the space utilised. Rochdale worked this out against O'Nien last night, so why can't we?

Instead we hit it to an isolated McGeady marked by two men who he's obsessed with trying to beat every time.
spot on

I'm glad we didn't play the way Rochdale did last night as they lost.

Exciting attacking football may be fun to watch but if you concede more goals than the opposition you're fucked
Bit of a naive way of looking at things.
Laarrf. Serious question though. If all our remaining matches were gritty 2-1 wins that achieved promotion would you be happy or disappointed that we didn't play attacking exciting football?
I'd be very worried about the next season, as I'd fear we wouldn't have enough to take the game to better sides.
I know its easy to criticise the standard of our play however I thought Rochdale were very good. They wanted to play football didn't panic on the ball and had some technically good players. Maybe people need to start giving the opposition some credit..
They deserve plenty credit, but I think they were there for the taking mind.

Last edited:
Is it? Whilst i can see the flaws in the side i'm also able to accept that we are in League 1, not the Prem and the players we have are mostly of that standard.

Whilst it would be great to attack and win 5-0 every game the reality is that we're never going to achieve it so expecting it is a waste of energy imho.

Would you rather win 1-0 evey week or lose 5-4

I'd be very worried about the next season, as I'd fear we wouldn't have enough to take the game to better sides.
Again spot on ,was just about to say i would be fearful for next season
Is it? Whilst i can see the flaws in the side i'm also able to accept that we are in League 1, not the Prem and the players we have are mostly of that standard.

Whilst it would be great to attack and win 5-0 every game the reality is that we're never going to achieve it so expecting it is a waste of energy imho.

Do you have to decide ,cant we win 2 1 playing good footy

Last edited:
Never miss a game marra ,i will be at peterborough next wk.
I’m confused, you said here that you just listened to the match:

Last edited:

They deserve plenty credit, but I think they were there for the taking mind.

Exactly. Playing well and winning becomes a habit, which you can take into the Championship to play against better opposition.

Laarrf. Serious question though. If all our remaining matches were gritty 2-1 wins that achieved promotion would you be happy or disappointed that we didn't play attacking exciting football?
Don't think i'd care, going to Rochdale lastnight was class, as was Ipswich, if we win it's a bonus, play good it's a bonus, all that matters is getting out of this league

Happy with the win and points, but I agree with the OP, I only listened on the radio, while reading the match thread on here, but we sounded has if we played shite, couldn't sleep because I was so wound up, we're scraping results just like last season and if it continues, we'll come unstuck again, Ross doesn't seem to have learned anything, I've always backed a manager, but this bloke is making that hard to do.

I’m far from a happy clapper but if it was last season that game would have ended 2-2 without doubt.
Million per cent need a left back mind!

Aye it is. I think you can appreciate a side trying to play the game the right way and playing well, without falling back on a childish "well they got beat so they can't be that good". We scored two goals against the run of play, and our keeper was the busier of the two. Nobody would have been surprised if they'd managed an equaliser in that last ten minutes.

I don't expect us to attack and win every game 5-0, but I'd like to see us take the initiative. I keep hearing we've got the best squad in the division so if that's the case, then why not? We show moments of quality in the few goals we do score - we showed it last night. So why not apply some pressure, control games more, and put teams to the sword. I was impressed with Rochdale last night, but they were absolutely there for the taking if we had any gumption about us.

It's League One. We haven't spent millions due to financial constraints and are doing the best we can with the players we have. We ground it out at an away match against a reasonable team and came home with all three points. What more do you want considering the circumstances?

Yep, I go along with this. Im pleased we got another 3 points. Although TBH it didn't sound very good. But unfortunately we are in Division One. (and the standard of play will never reach the dizzy heights of the premiership prima donnas) although I sincerely hope performances improve. As long as we continue to get 3 points I can live with that under the circumstances

Can’t really complain when you win, but the performance was very poor and we don’t seem to have any cohesive game plan. We were lucky to come away with 3 points. Big improvement needed if we want to go up.

Back