The morning after.....

Clearly you get a great sense of the finer points of a match when you 'listen' to the action eh? We have enough armchair warriors who actually 'watch' these games and reel off critical points by the dozen. We can manage without a negative critique from someone who hasn't actually seen whats gone on.

We have no-one on our team who can reliably hold the ball bar McGeady who gets double teamed then wastes it.

Away at Rochdale our goalie was MOTM

I don't think it's too unreasonable to think we should be attracting the best talent in the division with our profile and resources.

I'm far from convinced we were ever going to "do a Bolton" and we certainly wouldn't have "done a Bury". Lazy comparisons to different situations.

We should appreciate that Donald and Co have delivered a League 1 squad that isn't good enough to get out of League 1? That'll not wash for very long. Then you can really watch us emulate the likes of Bury.
Your really sticking with this anti Donald agenda aren't you. WE will never emulate the like of Bury under this regime.

The only thing I can think of is a couple of very optimistic shouts (from their fans, not the players) for handball. We got 4 yellows in 10 fouls, including Leadbitter taking one so that Grigg could get treatment for what looked like a head injury and the ref wouldn't stop play. He was a Homer, pure and simple.
That was O'Nien rolling about like he'd been poleaxed wasn't it? There was fuck all the matter with him neither.
Your really sticking with this anti Donald agenda aren't you. WE will never emulate the like of Bury under this regime.
No agenda. He made a comment - I responded.

Last edited:
Totally agree but do you really think they have a much better technical squad than us or is it the managers style of play and instructions? Last night Mclaughlin never once even attempted to give the ball to one of our defenders, it was a lump forward to Wyke every time. Now that must be a tactical call from Ross otherwise he would be going mental at him to try and give it short.
I wouldn't disagree marra, my point was we always seem to concentrate on our own lack of ability across the team but forget that other clubs have some really good players..
If Rochdale can do it, surely it's not too much to ask to expect Sunderland to be able to?
Wouldn't disagree what that either

Last edited:
It's League One. We haven't spent millions due to financial constraints and are doing the best we can with the players we have. We ground it out at an away match against a reasonable team and came home with all three points. What more do you want considering the circumstances?
Well said !

I think that the expectations are that because SAFC's historic pedigree is obviously much better than that of the traditionally lowly Rochdale*, we should defeat them with ease, both home and away. However, in reality, what has gone before to create the respective pedigrees and reputations is irrelevant. The only thing that counts is the quality of the players who make it into each team for the game. Thus, last night it was clear that Rochdale have managed to put together a squad of players who are quite good at what they do and SAFC have also managed to do likewise, albeit perhaps not firing on all cylinders at all time.

Historically the gap between the clubs is huge. Currently the gap between the two teams is much closer.

*And it is likely that all but Coventry, ipswich and Portsmouth from the teams making up League 1 could be inserted instead of Rochdale in similar comparisons.
Tough game last night mate. Rochdale very committed. Said it before - we have no divine right to win. Most games will be tough but team developing a good mentality, unlike some of the fans.
Very good post. Rochdale were committed and not a little talented. Expectations built on reputation rather than reality.
To be fair, regardless of the name, Rochdale were an excellent team, they play with pace and passion, i was very impressed with them. We did what was needed and at the end of the season, that's all that matters
this

Last edited:
It isn't all that matters though mate.....not to me anyway. I want to see good,exciting,attacking,winning football from them. Of course there will be matches where we have to sit tight,ride our luck a bit and grind it out,but they should be the exception rather than the rule.
Ah yes, Nirvana ... The Holy Grail ... The Man City of League 1 (except even they got caught out at the weekend, of course). I'm afraid where we are is going to be a tense and nerve-wracking experience.

I don't think that the current team is firing on all cylinders as yet and there is the prospect of further additions that might improve us and help to fine-tune the engine. But it is unlikely that we will tear away from the rest of the pack. Of course, some clubs will be winnowed out over the season, but I doubt that there will be more than a 10-12 points spread between first and sixth come the seasons end.

there will also be matches where we are the better team and drop points. Other clubs will enjoy good fortune at our expense occasionally. it is disappointing at the time, but hopefully will even out over the longer-term.

wE ShooD alWayz B PlayInG amAziNG fooT bAll in EverY gAme we PlaY cos We iS SuNlun Man HaWay.

Despite the fact that we play in league one where there is very little quality. Also, since we got rlegated here, there have been no teams who have played to a top level with any consistency apart from Luton last year. Why would you expect it from us?

No not pill wifes nearly 70.Where to start with last night.Iam sure to get pelters but here goes,we all agree signings needed lb asap and others hopefully .However the football is the same turgid stuff ,dont know how long we are going to get away with it.I listened to it and had to check it wasnt barcelona we were playing ,cant see ross changing either .We are lucky if we touch the ball every 10 mins,just abdicate huge areas of the pitch and pray mcgeady will score and big jon will keep them out .I know we won so everything must be great ,well it isnt im afraid clappers.
You didn't actually watch the match did you...

No not pill wifes nearly 70.Where to start with last night.Iam sure to get pelters but here goes,we all agree signings needed lb asap and others hopefully .However the football is the same turgid stuff ,dont know how long we are going to get away with it.I listened to it and had to check it wasnt barcelona we were playing ,cant see ross changing either .We are lucky if we touch the ball every 10 mins,just abdicate huge areas of the pitch and pray mcgeady will score and big jon will keep them out .I know we won so everything must be great ,well it isnt im afraid clappers.
Please don't tell me people aged around 70 still go by the nickname of Stevo by their own choice? :eek: :lol: Just enjoy the wins and the free busses while we still have them

Back