The moment you realised you were a grown up

When I went down the pit at 16
Now that’s what they call real “graft” non of this pouncing around stuff for a few hours then coming saying they are shattered stuff...I saw both my Dad and grandad go through life as miners...51 years for my grandad and he passed away 6 mths after retiring through the coal dust on the lungs....dad did just over 40 yrs and finished up with lung cancer...worst job in the world I’d say

When I started work in 1973 just weeks after my 16th birthday and for the first time in my life I was calling adults by their first names rather than addressing them as Mr or Mrs whatever their name was...nowadays even the youngest kids are on first name terms with everyone. I reckon the old ways were better as it just showed that little bit respect, but there you go!

Last edited:
I’m guessing it all hits us at different stages of our lives - that moment when you Do one little thing and it alters your perception of yourself forever.

Mine was playing WWE Warzone and getting a stiffy at the loading screen - was a picture of Sable in her wrestling gear.

Was my first proper erection and wasn’t sure what to do with it so kind of grinded against my bedroom door frame for a bit. I knew instantly things had changed.

When did you know you’d waved goodbye to adolescence?
The first time you realised you were an adult was when you got a bonk on over a cartoon drawing of a lass. Christ.

I’m guessing it all hits us at different stages of our lives - that moment when you Do one little thing and it alters your perception of yourself forever.

Mine was playing WWE Warzone and getting a stiffy at the loading screen - was a picture of Sable in her wrestling gear.

Was my first proper erection and wasn’t sure what to do with it so kind of grinded against my bedroom door frame for a bit. I knew instantly things had changed.

I had a similar awakening but it was watching Flash Gordon and it was over Ming's daughter, it was the last day of school or something as it was in school and I was about 8.

I don't think that was when I realised I had grown up.

Not sure I have yet... had a brief moment thinking I had when I did my Confirmation at 13 but I was swiftly disabused of my newly found notion of adulthood when I bunked church and my sister grassed me up so my father gave me a severe kicking

How old were you when this occurred ?
Giving mum house keep from 1st wage packet...£ 5 a week...
Southerner?

Mam

First legal pint for me. Knowing I had ID and no one could turn me away for being under age
I was literally in the police station at 8am on my 18th getting my ID. I'm not too sure why I had to get it from there, think it was a drink awareness one or something, anyway I needed it to drink alcohol cause I only looked 12. Had my first legal pint with my dad at 11 in weatherspoons and was buzzing buying the round and showing my ID.

Back