The moment QAnon took the person I love most

there's a QAnon conference on in Vegas now apparently... this bloke played Jesus in the Passion of Christ back in the day, now he think he is Jesus...
apparently that's not his normal voice/accent either.

There was a time when hardcore religious and hardcore conservative people used to complain about the way they were treated as cult-worshipping nutters by the rest of us. Well, they certainly showed us

Lass I work with believes all this shit and it’s impossible to get through to her about how stupid it is.

It works best on people who believe in magic, ghosts, horoscopes and the concept of folk tales and fairy tales being treated as religious truth. I can't imagine there are many people whose beliefs are based on a number of peer-reviewed scientific papers and similarly rigorous information being swayed by this bilge.

there's a QAnon conference on in Vegas now apparently... this bloke played Jesus in the Passion of Christ back in the day, now he think he is Jesus...
apparently that's not his normal voice/accent either.

Obviously they're focusing on the bit where he's making a speech urging people to take up arms and presumably use violence and all those guns they normally just wank over to murder the democratically elected government and their supporters. But a fun fact: Jim Catweazle is also pushing the Qanon theory that child traffickers are using children to farm adrenaline. That's right, adrenaline, which can be synthesised cheaply and easily in any pharmaceutical lab because actual scientists have worked out what chemicals it contains and drum it up from their basic knowledge of the f***ing periodic table.

It works best on people who believe in magic, ghosts, horoscopes and the concept of folk tales and fairy tales being treated as religious truth. I can't imagine there are many people whose beliefs are based on a number of peer-reviewed scientific papers and similarly rigorous information being swayed by this bilge.
People want to believe in the ethereal. Our brains are wired to make connections or join the dots to make sense of things even if those dots are completely random and you're right, that used to be the estate of religion. But as the walls crumble and people leave those established religious institutions be careful what they're running towards. Purveyors of conspiracies like Q are only too willing to pick them up.

We've seen the insanity over the Atlantic but lies as fact is spreading in this country too. It's an easy and very slippery slope to go down. I wonder where it will lead us?

People want to believe in the ethereal. Our brains are wired to make connections or join the dots to make sense of things even if those dots are completely random and you're right, that used to be the estate of religion. But as the walls crumble and people leave those established religious institutions be careful what they're running towards. Purveyors of conspiracies like Q are only too willing to pick them up.

We've seen the insanity over the Atlantic but lies as fact is spreading in this country too. It's an easy and very slippery slope to go down. I wonder where it will lead us?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to throw the baby out of the bathwater. I prefer the approach (which you get from a lot of people who've studied theology and the historical context in depth) that you see where the message of the religious scripture has come from, and how it evolved, and you appreciate the collective wisdom that it was used for. But rather than literally setting it stone so that society cannot move forward from that point, you follow the tradition of wisdom handed from generation to generation where the wisdom evolves with the society. You don't get bogged down in whether Jesus was magic and you remember the good points he made about forgiveness, being driven by something other than profit, peace and love and suchlike, and you don't get trapped in the morality or uninformed opinions of the Bronze Age to do with sexuality and the role of women.

Where things really started to go wrong was where the Church (and no doubt their counterparts east of here) had been supporting and promoting science and the arts right up until the point it outgrew what tribesmen in the 5th century BBC thought about how the Sun works. Instead of saying that it's all part of the development of our people and this is what we know now, they excommunicated Galileo.

Back