The Metropolitan Police are expecting us

I'd love to be going down Saturday and doing Trafalgar. Sadly, with 2 kids in tow it's probably not the right environment :-(

If you go earlier in the evening mate it should be fine. Plenty of kids down there when we went for the Checkatrade. Not sure it will be as busy but it's worth showing the kids what it's like.

My kids loved it and desperate to go back on Saturday night.

Not sure if it’ll be quite like last time but if you go early doors I’m sure they’ll have a great time and never forget it.

Then head back to the hotel or whatever when things start getting a bit lairy.

Even then, I seriously doubt anything bad will happen.
A like for your use of lary. Won't even pick you up for the spello. Not heard that for a while.

and @macsiemus

It looks like you are not wrong. I have always spelled it without the i. I knew it was slang so last night double checked in urban dictionary ( yes I know) - no i.
Get pulled, double check in Cambridge and although slang it is spelled with an i.
Sorry!

Great word however spelled.

I would spell it lary too... great word

I’m a bit bemused about why it’s such a great word as well, totally common thing for me to use.

I’ve never thought of it as a particularly northern specific thing either.
It's originally a London word as far as I know. I haven't heard it in use much lately though hence my comment last night. Not seen it written much either otherwise I might have known how to spell it!

One of my late dads sayings “lairy jack” :)
Did that refer to his mate Jack? Or was it a two word expression?

Interested because that would be a different usage from how I'd use it.

Last edited:
It's originally a London word as far as I know. I haven't heard it in use much lately though hence my comment last night. Not seen it written much either otherwise I might have known how to spell it!

My dad would refer to anyone going on a bit daft as a ”lairy Jack” he spent a lot of time in Bournemouth in his youth xxx

I’d tend to agree with you as I think I’ve heard it, and picked it up from, my mates from the Cambs/Norfolk area. So a South East thing.

My dad would refer to anyone going on a bit daft as a ”lairy Jack” he spent a lot of time in Bournemouth in his youth xxx
Similar I guess.

If someone was wearing a "loud" t-shirt or an ott loud t-shirt then the t-shirt might be described as lairy.

I suppose lairy would be a substitute for anything that is a little bit over the top. Be it behaviour or a thing.

Back