The metro

:lol:

Yet they drive on network rail infrastructure. And are paid a fraction of the wage that people doing much easier jobs in exactly the same infrastructure receive.

The language used by management has been ill thought out at best. It's just succeeded in doing the opposite it was supposed to.

And I get the argument that metro drivers are paid a good wage in relation to the north east average. That's not what is being contested. The argument is that they want a wage rise in line with the rest of the industry. Not even parity, by the way. Just a competitive wage with drivers doing easier jobs.

It’s a light railway, comparable with the DLR, ask for the same as their drivers

Easy money though, as most of their time they'll be sat doing nowt due to the trains not running

Yes mate. The drivers of failed trains just sit about and do fuck all straight away. Not taking the fucked train back to the depot, having to argue the toss about whether it's fit for service, having to walk back to the resource office (15 minutes away from where you drop the train off) then having to prep another train then take it out. All safe in the knowledge that it'll more than likely be fucked within hours.

An absolute doddle.
It’s a light railway, comparable with the DLR, ask for the same as their drivers

It's absolutely the same mate. Apart from the fact that it doesn't run on mainline infrastructure and, more to the point, it doesn't have drivers.

Last edited:
everytime There is a transport strike the media are up in arms and interview tons of people who travel on said transport, but never the other side of it.

Truth is if it has gone to industrial action, work to rule or strike for example, it means the companies probably haven’t tried to rectify the problem properly

Yes mate. The drivers of failed trains just sit about and do fuck all straight away. Not taking the fucked train back to the depot, having to argue the toss about whether it's fit for service, having to walk back to the resource office (15 minutes away from where you drop the train off) then having to prep another train then take it out. All safe in the knowledge that it'll more than likely be fucked within hours.

An absolute doddle.

It's absolutely the same mate. Apart from the fact that it doesn't run on mainline infrastructure and, more to the point, it doesn't have drivers.

That was my point

It's absolutely shit mate. A reet pain in the arse jumping in your train not knowing if it's going to get you to the next station or not.

My favourite is when you kick people off a knackered train then get verbally assaulted or spat at while you're checking the train. That's always good.

Or when you're left with some drugged up clown on your last train who, when you wake him up, realises that he's missed his stop half an hour ago then kicks off with you. Or, even worse, attempts to assault you. They're always good n'all.

All stuff that drivers from other train companies don't have to put up with, by the way.

That doesn't sound good mate, but i'm pleased you get some enjoyment out of it. ;) Working with/for the public mate. Most are decent people, but its the twats that you remember. Hope you get what you think is a good deal.

It's absolutely shit mate. A reet pain in the arse jumping in your train not knowing if it's going to get you to the next station or not.

My favourite is when you kick people off a knackered train then get verbally assaulted or spat at while you're checking the train. That's always good.

Or when you're left with some drugged up clown on your last train who, when you wake him up, realises that he's missed his stop half an hour ago then kicks off with you. Or, even worse, attempts to assault you. They're always good n'all.

All stuff that drivers from other train companies don't have to put up with, by the way.

I’ve seen firsthand the amount of shit you and other Metro staff take mate. The lack of security on the system is beyond a joke and I’m actually surprised more drivers haven’t left.

I don’t blame the drivers for moving TPEX/LNER for an easier life. Until Nexus sort out the salary situation and address security, the system will continue to have issues

I’ll happily become a driver if they don’t fancy it.
So what's stopping you marra? - They are recruiting by all accounts.
Hopefully they get their T's & C's sorted out - so future drivers (like you) can enjoy decent wages etc.
But what there is a danger of is scabs joining the workforce and doing the job for the shite T's and C's that the drivers are enduring at the moment - because they think it is a good wage.

Used the metro to go to the Sage on Friday night , going was ok but coming back the was a 25min wait, train was rammed didn't help c**ts, standing in the doorway stopping people getting on and off.

Very rarely use the Metro, but if the (dis)organisation of the replacement bus service from airport to Gosforth was anything to go by, they should just scrap the entire system. Double decker buses, with no luggage facilities, lack of staff, bus drivers who couldn't be arsed to tell you how to get to a metro station from where the bus stopped. Newcastle airport gateway to the North East do me a favour.

They seemed happy with the package when they signed their contract.

And I’ve also not been late for work and lost my beer gut since I bought a bike

They're changing the terms and conditions mate. That's what has triggered this whole thing off.

Well done by the way. Didn't realise you'd piled on the beef, you were always a skinny fucker as a child... :lol:
Not particularly mind.

I’ve just got myself life insurance, 20% more holiday and a decent pay rise.

And well done again mate. I'm assuming you were happy with the package when you signed the contract though?

Last edited:
They're changing the terms and conditions mate. That's what has triggered this whole thing off.

Well done by the way. Didn't realise you'd piled on the beef, you were always a skinny fucker as a child... :lol:

And well done again mate. I'm assuming you were happy with the package when you signed the contract though?

I maybe wrong, but I was under the assumption that the T&Cs were only changing if the salary was changed. If the salary stays as it is, so do the T&Cs?

I was happy. But then I’m not working in a publicly subsidised organisation where I feel the unions take the piss. Which is just my opinion, of course.

I maybe wrong, but I was under the assumption that the T&Cs were only changing if the salary was changed. If the salary stays as it is, so do the T&Cs?

I was happy. But then I’m not working in a publicly subsidised organisation where I feel the unions take the piss. Which is just my opinion, of course.

One person's idea of taking the piss is another's idea of fighting for what they believe is right. But that's just my opinion, of course.

The change of terms and conditions are pretty much a requirement for the implementation of the new fleet. Which of course was not written into the original contracts signed at the start of employment.

So, basically, they have to change them. But of course changing the terms and conditions in a negative way must result in some form of incentive. The stand off is just how much that incentive should be.

Back