the metro

That’s a f***ing daft statement to be honest.

Well what's it actually done for Sunderland?

Inhibited direct rail services to the east coast main line?
Took shoppers from Sunderland to Newcastle?
Provided a token service across Sunderland that doesn't go anywhere?

We've became a suburb of Tyneside, just another end of line spoke on the hub.

It's far from perfect but that's a bizarre statement.

Has the metros positives outweighed the negatives for Sunderland?

Yes.

Your post makes two points about the metro taking people out of Sunderland, but the negative aspect of that point depends on there being something in Sunderland to keep the people...if there isn't then staying in Sunderland would be a negative to the area.

As it is, more readily commutable to Newcastle where there are jobs, it has surely supported growth in house prices and tax receipts within the area? I'd guess most people highly value the airport service, the matchday service and its use for public events like the air show.

A lot of students use it for travel to university, and its link to Newcastle probably plays a part in their decision to study here.

I'm not saying it's massive, but it's done an alright job for sunderland

Your post makes two points about the metro taking people out of Sunderland, but the negative aspect of that point depends on there being something in Sunderland to keep the people...if there isn't then staying in Sunderland would be a negative to the area.

As it is, more readily commutable to Newcastle where there are jobs, it has surely supported growth in house prices and tax receipts within the area? I'd guess most people highly value the airport service, the matchday service and its use for public events like the air show.

A lot of students use it for travel to university, and its link to Newcastle probably plays a part in their decision to study here.

I agree, a lot of students do use it to move between the University and St. Peters, Millfield and Pallion.

We really need to lose this pseudo attachment to the unequal Tyne and Wear project. We get nothing but a Cinderella service being in it. Ditch Tyne and Wear. Go back to Co Durham bordering Northumberland

Tyne and wear hasn’t existed as a county since 1986

You’re right and wrong. We don’t recognise Tyne and Wear.

However, there are whole load of funding maps that do - rightly or wrongly.

For example, the EU still use them and that’s part of the reason why the NE gets a lot more money pushed their way than they otherwise would. Cleveland (which also does not exist) is a major benefactor of this as well.

Care to elaborate then?
Apart from the ridiculous logic that any transport that allows people out of the city is an automatic downside which you would have to extend to buses, cars, cycle lanes etc?

On a personal note I worked in Newcastle for ten years which and used it every day. You will see this as a bad thing but I earned very good money and brought it back to Sunderland to spend. I could not have got that work in Sunderland and whilst things are improving now, companies would not entertain coming if there weren't easy transport links to Newcastle. There is no way you can attract inward investment by making the transport infrastructure worse.

I also helped run this year's Creative Writing Festival and we attracted a lot of people from Newcastle who used the Metro. I doubt they would have come had they had to negotiate buses, hitchhike or use a horse and cart.
I know this is the case on a much greater scale with the Empire etc and the Metro will be pivotal in generating the audience when the new auditorium opens at the Fire Station.
There's a very good reason why Nexus were one of the main sponsors of the City of Culture bid, they know how many people they bring into the city and want to attract more.

And there's actually nothing wrong with popping through to Newcastle every now and then for gigs etc, just the same as there's nothing wrong with popping on the train to London. The small town mentality is what cripples Sunderland far more than the Metro.

Back