the metro

Absolutely zero. Seeing as new installations of third rail are banned

I don't think they're banned completely. Not read too much into it but i think extra insulation is required which makes the cost prohibitive.

I was hoping that in the future the Metro would become third rail and the Durham Coast line converted to OHL the same as the ECML. Wishful thinking like.

Over Head Lines are brilliant first mild breeze or the temperature dips below 3 degrees and the wind or ice bring the feckers down and leave you stuck on the bloody train for hours. Go back to diesel or better still tarmac over the rails and use them as cycle routes;)

Over Head Lines are brilliant first mild breeze or the temperature dips below 3 degrees and the wind or ice bring the feckers down and leave you stuck on the bloody train for hours. Go back to diesel or better still tarmac over the rails and use them as cycle routes;)
Always thought a series of cycle tunnels would be ideal. All weather if you will.

I don't think they're banned completely. Not read too much into it but i think extra insulation is required which makes the cost prohibitive.

I was hoping that in the future the Metro aàbecome third rail and the Durham Coast line converted to OHL the same as the ECML. Wishful thinking like.
They can replace existing installs but not do new ones.
The solution for the Durham coast is dual voltage metros. Upgrade the OHL to 25kv AC then the Metros can run on that and the 1.5kv DC of the current system

The best thing would be to fuck the metro off entirely and spend the money elsewhere on transport.

Not really. Nearly 40 million journeys a year are on the Metro while traffic congestion is already increasing 1-2% per year as it is meaning an average increase in journey time of 56% at peak times. Add in another 40 million journeys a year to the mix and the place would crash to a halt.

Back