The Metro between Newcastle Central and - roughly - East Boldon

Only notice fit birds.
:lol: odd that...

I must admit that I'm not that bothered about going in gay bars.
the pelaw inn? that's not a gay bar! but there's a reason for the rainbow flags...

It's not a gay bar as such, very much a drinkers place, but is gay friendly based on who runs it, did have the Rainbow flag outside for a bit.

its to do with the landlords daughter i believe...

Cricketers is canny and better than it used to be, the Wardley is a locals pub.

shame the arsehole at jarrow brewery closed the albion, was always kanny to bob between the two\three...

Last edited:
:lol: odd that...

the pelaw inn? that's not a gay bar! but there's a reason for the rainbow flags...

its to do with the landlords daughter i believe...

shame the arsehole at jarrow brewery closed the albion, was always kanny to bob between the two\three...

Lived in Pelaw and Wardley so know the area well, agreed re the Albion, loved the little shuffle between the two.

Went in the Flying Stool after work a few months back and the gay lass behind the bar (large tits) had all her mates in, few were like the lesbians from the internet.....

Has a Lidl and Aldi now, what more could an area want?

Lived in Pelaw and Wardley so know the area well, agreed re the Albion, loved the little shuffle between the two.

Went in the Flying Stool after work a few months back and the gay lass behind the bar (large tits) had all her mates in, few were like the lesbians from the internet.....

Has a Lidl and Aldi now, what more could an area want?

I’m not going in any pub called The Flying Stool :eek:

The Maiden Over was far worse in my experience.
never been in there for over 10 years now, a real shithole now? would only go in there if we'd been over to the swan - but i can't remember the last time we went in the swan either.

Hopefully named for airborne furniture, and not chods?
for a short while they had a (half-decent) curry house squatting in the function room upstairs - to get to it you'd have to go through the bar and up the stairs... always seemed to be a smashed pint glass on the floor the times i went (may have been the same pint!).

Last edited:
Duke of Cumberland used to be brilliant for seeing live bands yonks ago--well I rarely actually saw much of them being a short arse and the place rammed with folk standing up. Nearly always a smell of a sliff or 2 anarl.
Sun Devils there used to take the roof off!

I used the Metro for years when I worked in Gosforth.
Ideal for me, cheap and pretty reliable back then.

I used it at Christmas after a works night out last year. Dropped the shoulder about 10.15pm (we'd been out since 5)
got the Metro Back to Park Lane for £3.50 and the last bus up to mine for £1.50.
Public transport £5
Taxi would have been £40
Feet up having a beer at 11.30pm, can't grumble.

There were a few odd ones that got on in Newcastle, looked high as kites, not drunk, but the all got off by the time we hit Boldon.
There was only me got off in Sunderland.

Cleadon, East Boldon, Whitburn, West Boldon, all South Tyneside. Whereas Pennywell, Hendon , Roker, Carley Hill, Southwick, Shiney Row are all desirable areas.
I agree with you although Cleadon is actually classed as Sunderland isn’t it?

No one from Cleadon will tell you they live in Sunderland like

I think you will find their rates are paid to South Tyneside, have South Tyneside Councillors and share their MP with South Shields. Even the AOL is in the Borough I think as the planning stuff had to go through them iirc

We dont. It isnt. Just the post code. South Tyneside and before I believe it was Boldon Urban Council. We have nothing to do with Sunderland.

I think you will find their rates are paid to South Tyneside, have South Tyneside Councillors and share their MP with South Shields. Even the AOL is in the Borough I think as the planning stuff had to go through them iirc
Aol is in Cleadon South Tyneside not Sunderland. You are right.

We dont. It isnt. Just the post code. South Tyneside and before I believe it was Boldon Urban Council. We have nothing to do with Sunderland.

Aol is in Cleadon South Tyneside not Sunderland. You are right.
Boldon Urban District Council, those were the good old days:D:cool:
Flat back wagons full of sand with 2 fellas hoying shovels of it off the back after it had been snowing--even the council estate:D:cool:
Seemed plenty money then for those services and of course nee Health and Safety;)

Back