The Mauritanian

I’d never even heard of Mauritania until 2 years ago when I sold a massive contract to a company there.

Despite scepticism from my boss I got them to sign on the dotted lines. They now owe my company £30k in withheld taxes.

I’d never even heard of Mauritania until 2 years ago when I sold a massive contract to a company there.

Despite scepticism from my boss I got them to sign on the dotted lines. They now owe my company £30k in withheld taxes.
First time I’d heard of it because of the film. Was surprised at how big it is but I guess a lot of it will be desert

It’s not ‘dross’.

It’s possible, of course, to have differing opinions on what is, and what is not, enjoyable or interesting. But this is a well acted and high quality production that for many, including me, is thought provoking, surprising in places and a good, if sometimes slightly challenging, watch.

It was one of those films that I felt I ‘should’ watch, rather than expect to be ‘entertained’. I wasn’t expecting a barrel of laughs and I was concerned that it might al be a little too gruesome and real.

But it was sensitively done so that months of torture and what was done by and in ‘the land of the free’ to ‘defend democracy and freedom’ were depicted in a way that won’t give me nightmares.

I realise that it was ‘based on truth’ but is a dramatic production. I’m confident, however, that a 100% accurate portrayal would never be released nor find an audience.

And, yeah, I’d heard of Mauritania.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back