The Maguire substitution

Keith S30S

Inside right
Staff member
Embarrassing IMO.

Chris is 30 years old, has been playing professionally since he was 17 and has bags of experience. He gets stripped to come on then spends the next 5 or so minutes looking at an ipad on the bench. WTF? He was coming on to play the exact same role as he did on Saturday. Surely all he needs to be told is who he's picking up from set pieces, not patronising drivel. What else was he being told?

Then he finally gets on the side of the pitch, 4th official ready with the board. The ball goes off the pitch a few yards away, Ross picks the ball up and throws it to one of our players to take a quick throw in? Er you're making a sub to hopefully win us the game, why are you not getting the player on the pitch ASAP. Rotherham broke away and nearly scored. I have never seen any manager do that before.

Sorry but we're a f***ing shambles.

Embarrassing IMO.

Chris is 30 years old, has been playing professionally since he was 17 and has bags of experience. He gets stripped to come on then spends the next 5 or so minutes looking at an ipad on the bench. WTF? He was coming on to play the exact same role as he did on Saturday. Surely all he needs to be told is who he's picking up from set pieces, not patronising drivel. What else was he being told?

Then he finally gets on the side of the pitch, 4th official ready with the board. The ball goes off the pitch a few yards away, Ross picks the ball up and throws it to one of our players to take a quick throw in? Er you're making a sub to hopefully win us the game, why are you not getting the player on the pitch ASAP. Rotherham broke away and nearly scored. I have never seen any manager do that before.

Sorry but we're a f***ing shambles.
Agree with every bit of this apart from the he threw the ball for a quick throw in bit. This would require the dour jock bastard to remove his hands from his pockets

I think that's a bit harsh like.

Agree about us being a shambles though.

Harsh how? I could understand it if a young kid was coming on playing out of position or similar. 30 year old Maguire was coming on to play as a 10, it's his best position and he played there for most of the game on Saturday. He doesn't need a bit of coaching before he comes on. It's a ridiculous level of over kill and simply wasting valuable time.

Harsh how? I could understand it if a young kid was coming on playing out of position or similar. 30 year old Maguire was coming on to play as a 10, it's his best position and he played there for most of the game on Saturday. He doesn't need a bit of coaching before he comes on. It's a ridiculous level of over kill and simply wasting valuable time.

Because giving a player instructions is one of those things that people will give him shit for it he hadn't as well.

If anyone can tell me Mcgeady or Gooch offered more than he is capable of I’d recommend sectioning!!! both were in my opinion the two worst performers on the pitch!!! Maguire should have been on after 50 minutes!

Because giving a player instructions is one of those things that people will give him shit for it he hadn't as well.

No they wouldn't at all. What 5 minute instructions do you think a 30 year old coming on in his regular position would require?

I'm struggling because apart from defending set pieces I can't think of a single thing. He was a like for like replacement for O'Nien. It was as straight forward a substitution as possible. It was ridiculous to delay it, twice, plain stupid.

He gets stripped to come on then spends the next 5 or so minutes looking at an ipad on the bench. WTF? He was coming on to play the exact same role as he did on Saturday. Surely all he needs to be told is who he's picking up from set pieces, not patronising drivel. What else was he being told?
He was asked to check the SMB and pictures of himself wearing a crown to give him confidence.

No they wouldn't at all. What 5 minute instructions do you think a 30 year old coming on in his regular position would require?

I'm struggling because apart from defending set pieces I can't think of a single thing. He was a like for like replacement for O'Nien. It was as straight forward a substitution as possible. It was ridiculous to delay it, twice, plain stupid.

Don't give a player instructions and someone will boot off he wasn't given instruction. Give him instructions and someone will boot off he's been given too many instructions.

Bit like when people boot off because he isn't shouting enough on the touchline.

None of the subs improved our game. In fact it made us worse. You couldn't make it up. Nobody knew what they were doing. It was panic stations ball went to one of our players "hoof" just get rid of it. No direction. Nobody on the pitch to calm things down and urge the players on. McGeady isn't a captain we need a Kevin Ball in the middle to, not so politely, tell the players to keep to the game plan. Our team is a reflection of Ross he stands on the sideline and is just impassive, no urgency, no shouting instructions to the players when the opposition is gaining the upper hand. That's not the actions of a winner he's too laid back and that rubs off on the players.

Don't give a player instructions and someone will boot off he wasn't given instruction. Give him instructions and someone will boot off he's been given too many instructions.

Bit like when people boot off because he isn't shouting enough on the touchline.

You haven't offered 1 single idea of what you could tell a 30 year old player before he comes on to improve his performance. It was simply ridiculous.

He could have been given any instructions verbally in half a minute.

None of the subs improved our game. In fact it made us worse. You couldn't make it up. Nobody knew what they were doing. It was panic stations ball went to one of our players "hoof" just get rid of it. No direction. Nobody on the pitch to calm things down and urge the players on. McGeady isn't a captain we need a Kevin Ball in the middle to, not so politely, tell the players to keep to the game plan. Our team is a reflection of Ross he stands on the sideline and is just impassive, no urgency, no shouting instructions to the players when the opposition is gaining the upper hand. That's not the actions of a winner he's too laid back and that rubs off on the players.

See you are complaining he doesn't give instruction and Keith is complaining he does.

I agree with the other stuff both of you said though.

it happens at the top level. i wonder if man city fans were complaining when pep or his coaching staff were going through all this with aguero on the opening day

Back