The Lost History of Farringdon: From Medieval Manor to Housing estate

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

How many know that Pallion is named after a cricket pavilion which once stood on the banks of the river Wear ? I think it later turned into the Steels cricket pitch which used to have a fair sized house or clubhouse next to the railway.

i remember Christmas 86, just after I’d started at Farringdon comp in the September, a Great Uncle asked me how I was getting on and when I said I’d started at Farringdon, he told me how he had worked on the estate as it was being built. He said as they were preparing the site they had found loads of archeology (old buildings and graves is what he actually said). Given that the housing was so desperately needed, they didn’t want to hold up construction, so they were told to say nowt and just get rid of it all. Much of it was just bulldozed into the ground or thrown into skips. A real shame.
There was no tennis courts iirc :lol:
There was you just couldn’t book them!

i remember Christmas 86, just after I’d started at Farringdon comp in the September, a Great Uncle asked me how I was getting on and when I said I’d started at Farringdon, he told me how he had worked on the estate as it was being built. He said as they were preparing the site they had found loads of archeology (old buildings and graves is what he actually said). Given that the housing was so desperately needed, they didn’t want to hold up construction, so they were told to say nowt and just get rid of it all. Much of it was just bulldozed into the ground or thrown into skips. A real shame.

There was you just couldn’t book them!
Not enough youth centres then!

Back