The loss of traditional shops

Its just nostalgia for a bygone time
i dont "shop" anymore ,i dont need shops ,everything is online ,even the majority of food
in saying that a "dodge around the shops " is a canny pastime the two times a year you're away some where
i love seeing vinyl shops etc but its more like a living museum .

something "sounds " ??
Solid Sounds?

Yeah. I worked in Volume for a while. Loved going downstairs and finding a bit of Vinyl new in, UNKLE, DJ Shadow,etc and blasting them out while making it look like I was busy putting records in aphabetical order. Loved Spinning Disc and Hot Rats is still there.
Grand, cheers.

Volume was topper, loved going down and looking at the t-shirts. Got my Red Dwarf "Let's get Out There and Twat It" t-shirt there.:lol:

i dont "shop" anymore ,i dont need shops ,everything is online ,even the majority of food
in saying that a "dodge around the shops " is a canny pastime the two times a year you're away some where
i love seeing vinyl shops etc but its more like a living museum .

something "sounds " ??
Pet Sounds??..there was one in Newcastle anarl.

Green grocers pretty much, certainly compared to years past.

You couldn't move for loose cauliflower leafage on pavements
... and the weekly town markets used to be packed. Loads of stalls for claithes and work jeans,, blokes flogging dinner services, clocks, knives and forks, and all sorts out the back of a van. The meat van selling a full range from slices of bacon, and cuts of meat to a half a beast !

Last edited:
... and the weekly town markets used to be packed. Loads of stalls for claithes and work jeans,, blokes flogging dinner services, clocks, knives and forks, and all sorts out the back of a van. The meat van selling a full range from slices of bacon, and cuts of meat to a half a beast !
Away mate - I'm a 1990s kid not 1790s.
;)

Sounds like Nicholas Nickleby meets The Apprentice/Fred Elliott

What was the sex shop in Sunderland, down near Norfolk house? Beauclark’s surgical supplies or summit
Yeah, thats the one. Also had Speedy book service (I was too young to go in) on Hylton Rd next to the Chinese restaurant. Also beside Symphony Sounds I think it was called. Sold hi-fi separates back in the 80's 2nd hand. Or was that the one which was opposite the Dun Cow?.

Last edited:
Things like cobblers - there are a few still knocking about but not as many as they used to be.

What other shops do you miss?
The Drapers ( my mam called it) was my favourite shop as a small kid in the 70s! It always had cool little toys and catapults and stuff. But when I Google drapers it was just a fabric shop! They definitely sold baseball boots and monkey boots cos I remember getting them from that shop.

Back