The Looking Glass (formerly The Place building, Sunniside)

Mackem00

Striker
Anyone been? Looks canny when I've passed and the stuff on insta seems decent. Noticed they are starting to do a night time menu but wasn't sure whether to take the plunge as 35 quid a head (for 3 courses) seems a tad steep as a starting price imo.

Anyone been? Looks canny when I've passed and the stuff on insta seems decent. Noticed they are starting to do a night time menu but wasn't sure whether to take the plunge as 35 quid a head (for 3 courses) seems a tad steep as a starting price imo.
I've not eaten there but the place is nice. The menu looked canny and had a couple of things that strayed from the norm. They are trying to do something slightly different so I hope they are a success.
They massively helped us out with the Writing Festival as well, hosting an event before they were officially open, and I would definitely recommend using them for a function.

It’s good. What they should do however is to make it easier for a passerby to see what is going on inside. That is basic cafe common sense and would attract more coffee drinkers, rather than just those who go for (a decent) lunch.

A couple of times it has been hard to work out if anyone is in and I’ve ended up in BizR. It’s amazing how many new restaurants make the same mistake.

But yes, worth a try.

Went there in the summer for some scran, just on a dinner time with work. I got a burger. It was a bit dry. Thinking back I'd rate it 6/10. I was envious of this chicken thing my colleague got, it looked much nicer.

Went for breakfast a few weeks back.

Got some kind of stylish sausage sandwich for about £8

Was decent enough. Also had a special tea with mango which wasn’t to my taste.

Nicely done out and the staff are canny, i haven't had any food there but our lass had some pasta with her mates on a lunchtime and was impressed.

More of a daytime cafe (nice one at that) than an evening restaurant IMO . Suprised The Place moved to bottom of Hylton road , poor location there

Seen a few pictures on that Facebook, and looks nowt special....but as we know, a photo doesn’t do food any justice!

Doesn’t look that cheap either....just like his watch battery changes!!! :eek:

Back