The Like Button

If a like is for a good point or something amusing then its fine but more often it is just used as confirmation of bias against a poster.
Is it really? Haway, it might be in the warped mind of some posters but they are in the minority just like those that get offended by the like button.

Is it really? Haway, it might be in the warped mind of some posters but they are in the minority just like those that get offended by the like button.

I know exactly who will click like if someone gives me static. I am also partial to it.
I am not offended, just giving my pov.

I think even if the like button went something would replace it.
So instead of people looking for likes they'd get a thumbs up icon or as others have said "this".
So you're just gonna end up trying to ban everything, as each item or reply gets banned that has replaced the one before.

If the ‘like’ button wasn’t there I think it would lead to even more problems involving bullying and bias. A lot easier to handle a post with 3 or 4 likes than 3 or 4 negative comments even it is just “I agree” which it won’t as it would probably make posters more inclined to add something to the conversation.
making the ‘likes’ anonymous could be helpful I think.

If the ‘like’ button wasn’t there I think it would lead to even more problems involving bullying and bias. A lot easier to handle a post with 3 or 4 likes than 3 or 4 negative comments even it is just “I agree” which it won’t as it would probably make posters more inclined to add something to the conversation.
making the ‘likes’ anonymous could be helpful I think.
The bullying is done essentially by anonymous people anyway. Its great when you catch up with them in real life they are canny different then.

If a like is for a good point or something amusing then its fine but more often it is just used as confirmation of bias against a poster.
I'm not sure that it is 'more often' but it is certainly used that way sometimes especially with pack hunting.
I think even if the like button went something would replace it.
So instead of people looking for likes they'd get a thumbs up icon or as others have said "this".
So you're just gonna end up trying to ban everything, as each item or reply gets banned that has replaced the one before.
I am concerned about the mental health of the Like Button - imagine how it must feel with campaigns to get rid of it.

Last edited:
The bullying is done essentially by anonymous people anyway. Its great when you catch up with them in real life they are canny different then.
It’s hard sometimes to differentiate between the bullies from the serious to the wind up merchants. It’s easier to take everything with a pinch of salt I find.

The like button.

I just liked a post by @CPLforever . It got me thinking after I liked it.

I liked the post, I thought it was a well argued, reasoned post, however I did not agree with everything in the post. I felt no need to take issue with the point I did not agree with or even offer a counterpoint, but I have indicated I liked it which looks like I am in agreement.

Hmmmm not sure where I’m going with this.

The like button.

I just liked a post by @CPLforever . It got me thinking after I liked it.

I liked the post, I thought it was a well argued, reasoned post, however I did not agree with everything in the post. I felt no need to take issue with the point I did not agree with or even offer a counterpoint, but I have indicated I liked it which looks like I am in agreement.

Hmmmm not sure where I’m going with this.
I've liked your post cos I think you bring up an interesting point. A well thought out post (whether I agree with it or not). Is interesting and can be informative.

Back