The Last Kingdom

Catching up on last night's episode. Hoping poor Aethelflaed has a bit of a romance with Erik (or Siegfried/Roy). Whether historically true or not this Aethelred is a total wimp-shit. She deserves more. And I like that she's feisty. And I'm rather fond of his beard.
:lol:

Catching up on last night's episode. Hoping poor Aethelflaed has a bit of a romance with Erik (or Siegfried/Roy). Whether historically true or not this Aethelred is a total wimp-shit. She deserves more. And I like that she's feisty. And I'm rather fond of his beard.

You'll have to see how things go. Both Aethelred and Aethelfled existed but I suspect that Bernard Cornwell has taken some liberties with their nature. Aldhelm's the character I currently have willing dislike for. He's incredibly snidey!

You'll have to see how things go. Both Aethelred and Aethelfled existed but I suspect that Bernard Cornwell has taken some liberties with their nature. Aldhelm's the character I currently have willing dislike for. He's incredibly snidey!
Spoilsport. Well she must have had something about her, though as you say a bit of poetic licence. I'll forgive that - especially as Erik has rather lovely eyes. :lol:

Decent final episode. As with a lot of the series, it follows the general storyline but veers away a bit in the detail.
Yeah, in the books Odda hadn't been seen for ages and in the final battle shown last night, Sigfried was killed by Osferth not Aethelflaed.

Spoilsport. Well she must have had something about her, though as you say a bit of poetic licence. I'll forgive that - especially as Erik has rather lovely eyes. :lol:
The historical Aethelflaed had more than something about her, she's a favourite of historians studying the time. She was never taken for ransom of course but she came into her own after Alfred died and she became a very effective general. Negotiator supreme too, cities fell to her without a sword being drawn, she was held in very high regard for her fairness.

I enjoyed that final episode. Although I would have liked to see Aethelflaed threaten her hideous hubby with a sword and tell him he'd get a taste of metal next time he tries to touch her! Alas poor Erik. I'll miss his eyes.

Credit also to David Dawson as Alfred and Simon Kunz as Odda. And of course Alexander Dreymon whose face in the final shot depicted his emotions beautifully. I'm hoping for a third series.
Destiny is all!

The historical Aethelflaed had more than something about her, she's a favourite of historians studying the time. She was never taken for ransom of course but she came into her own after Alfred died and she became a very effective general. Negotiator supreme too, cities fell to her without a sword being drawn, she was held in very high regard for her fairness.

Yes, she was known as the Lady of the Mercians, the word Lady at the time being the female equivalent for Lord.

Aethelred was some years older than her at the time and Mercia played a vital role in the fight against the Danes. She took over after his death but after the birth of their daughter Aelfwin I am not sure they were sexually active as she had also found the birth disturbing. Aelfwin succeeded her as ruler of Mercia but Edward of Wessex had her removed and she was made to live out her life in Wessex. There were rumours apparently that Aelfwin had been involved with a Dane.

I enjoyed that final episode. Although I would have liked to see Aethelflaed threaten her hideous hubby with a sword and tell him he'd get a taste of metal next time he tries to touch her! Alas poor Erik. I'll miss his eyes.

Credit also to David Dawson as Alfred and Simon Kunz as Odda. And of course Alexander Dreymon whose face in the final shot depicted his emotions beautifully. I'm hoping for a third series.
Destiny is all!

The Last Kingdom is a British historical fiction television series based on Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon Stories series of novels.

The first series' story-line roughly covers the plots of the original two novels, The Last Kingdom and The Pale Horseman, although condensed for the purposes of television. The second series' story-line will roughly cover the plots of the third and fourth of Cornwell's novels, The Lords of the North and Sword Song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Kingdom_(TV_series)

The Saxon stories consist of the following books so far so I suppose the possibility is there for a third series:

The Last Kingdom (2004)
The Pale Horseman (2005)
The Lords of the North (2006)
Sword Song (2007)
The Burning Land (2009)
Death of Kings (2011)
The Pagan Lord (2013)
The Empty Throne (2014)
Warriors of the Storm (2015)
The Flame Bearer (2016)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories

Last edited:

Destiny is all!

I'd hope there'd be a third series. This one has been very well received. Agreed about the actors. Also, more generally, the battle scenes in this series have been consistently good.

I couldn't get into that at all in series 1.

Dramas I'm watching currently: Guerilla (but it's a struggle), Midnight Sun (also ended this week), Grantchester (but that's a bit soppy), Genius (which is pretty good)
Another vote for Genius! :lol: I've been incapacitated the last few days :eek: so I watched the first series of Line of Duty - amazed at how much I'd forgotten. Worth a rewatch.
Boardwalk Empire also - if you haven't already seen it.

Another vote for Genius! :lol: I've been incapacitated the last few days :eek: so I watched the first series of Line of Duty - amazed at how much I'd forgotten. Worth a rewatch.
Boardwalk Empire also - if you haven't already seen it.

If I had time I would rewatch Twin Peaks before the new series starts.

I'm hoping the BBC stick stick something interesting into the Sunday 9pm slot. I'm guessing the Barbara Windsor biopic thing this weekend will be a one off.

If I had time I would rewatch Twin Peaks before the new series starts.

I'm hoping the BBC stick stick something interesting into the Sunday 9pm slot. I'm guessing the Barbara Windsor biopic thing this weekend will be a one off.
Big Babs - to quote Norman Stanley Fletcher. :lol: It's the Baftas the week after that - so no idea what's coming on. Is Doctor Forster 2 imminent? I never got into Twin Peaks, I just found it irritating. Not a massive David Lynch fan.

Big Babs - to quote Norman Stanley Fletcher. :lol: It's the Baftas the week after that - so no idea what's coming on. Is Doctor Forster 2 imminent? I never got into Twin Peaks, I just found it irritating. Not a massive David Lynch fan.

Can't find anything specific about Doctor Foster beyond early 2017.

Back